Davis study still lacks self-selection control group (and the sample is still small)

Stevan Harnad amsciforum at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 25 12:25:00 EST 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Ludo Waltman <ludo at ludowaltman.nl> wrote:

LW:

Phil Davis has published interesting results on the question whether open
> access leads to a citation advantage. In my view, Stevan Harnad's criticism
> of Phil misses the point...

In my view, Phil has convincingly shown that, at least for the journals and
> the time intervals he studied, there is no meaningful OA citation advantage.

I don't understand Ludo Waltman's point, since this is exactly what I said:

SH:

Phil Davis's dissertation results are welcome and interesting, and include
> some good theoretical insights, but insofar as the OA Citation Advantage is
> concerned, the empirical findings turn out to be just a failure to replicate
> the OA Citation Advantage in that particular sample and time-span... it is
> most definitely not a demonstration that the OA Advantage is an artifact of
> self-selection, since there is no control group demonstrating the presence
> of the citation advantage with self-selected OA and the absence of the
> citation advantage with randomized OA across the same sample and time-span:
> There is simply the failure to detect any citation advantage at all.

Stevan Harnad