Arbesman, S; Laughlin, G. 2010. A Scientometric Prediction of the Discovery of the First Potentially Habitable Planet with a Mass Similar to Earth. PLOS ONE 5 (10): art. no.-e13061.

Sat Nov 20 11:57:02 EST 2010

Arbesman, S; Laughlin, G. 2010. A Scientometric Prediction of the Discovery of
the First Potentially Habitable Planet with a Mass Similar to Earth. PLOS ONE 5
(10): art. no.-e13061.

Author Full Name(s): Arbesman, Samuel; Laughlin, Gregory
Language: English
Document Type: Article

Abstract: Background: The search for a habitable extrasolar planet has long
interested scientists, but only recently have the tools become available to
search for such planets. In the past decades, the number of known extrasolar
planets has ballooned into the hundreds, and with it, the expectation that the
discovery of the first Earth-like extrasolar planet is not far off.
Methodology/Principal Findings: Here, we develop a novel metric of habitability
for discovered planets and use this to arrive at a prediction for when the first
habitable planet will be discovered. Using a bootstrap analysis of currently
discovered exoplanets, we predict the discovery of the first Earth-like planet to
be announced in the first half of 2011, with the likeliest date being early May
2011.
Conclusions/Significance: Our predictions, using only the properties of
previously discovered exoplanets, accord well with external estimates for the
discovery of the first potentially habitable extrasolar planet and highlight the
the usefulness of predictive scientometric techniques to understand the pace
of scientific discovery in many fields.

Addresses: [Arbesman, Samuel] Harvard Univ, Sch Med, Dept Hlth Care Policy,
Boston, MA 02115 USA; [Arbesman, Samuel] Harvard Univ, Inst Quantitat
Social Sci, Cambridge, MA 02138 USA; [Laughlin, Gregory] Univ Calif Santa
Cruz, Dept Astron & Astrophys, Santa Cruz, CA 95064 USA

Reprint Address: Arbesman, S, Harvard Univ, Sch Med, Dept Hlth Care Policy,
Boston, MA 02115 USA.

E-mail Address: arbesman at hcp.med.harvard.edu
ISSN: 1932-6203
DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0013061