identification of review articles

Ludo Waltman ludo at LUDOWALTMAN.NL
Fri May 7 04:36:58 EDT 2010

Dear Linda,

Some time ago I performed an (unpublished) analysis of the accuracy of
the identification of reviews in Web of Science. At least in some
fields (subject categories) the distinction between ordinary articles
and reviews is inaccurate. Consider the field of management. The
attached Figure 1 shows the distribution of publications in the field
of management based on their number of references. Ordinary articles
are indicated in blue and reviews in red. As can be seen, in the field
of management almost all publications with more than 100 references
are classified as reviews, while almost no publications with less than
100 references are classified as reviews. It is of course extremely
unlikely that this is a correct classification. One would expect the
proportion of reviews to be a gradually increasing function of the
number of references. Instead, the figure shows a sudden increase at
100 references. Similar observations can be made for other fields,
although management seems to be a quite extreme case. Pharmacology &
pharmacy is an example of a field with a much more gradually
increasing proportion of reviews (see the attached Figure 2). So in
this field the distinction between ordinary articles and reviews may
be more accurate.

Best regards,

Ludo Waltman

Ludo Waltman MSc
Researcher

Centre for Science and Technology Studies
Leiden University
P.O. Box 905
2300 AX Leiden
The Netherlands