[Thomson Reuters response to Larsen & von Ins (in press)

chessnic at COMPUSERVE.COM chessnic at COMPUSERVE.COM
Mon May 3 14:05:34 EDT 2010

In the 1990s, as editor of PUBLISHING RESEARCH JOURNAL, I invited a number of articles on scholarly databases that demonstrated the growth of science publication (28 were collected and reissued under the title ELECTRONIC DATABASES AND PUBLISHING (1998)).

SCI was not a candidate because it had limited its coverage -- perhaps to contain production costs but with the stated rationale that only the most cited publications were of interest.

Best wishes,

Albert Henderson

-----Original Message-----
From: Pikas, Christina K. <Christina.Pikas at JHUAPL.EDU>
To: SIGMETRICS <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>
Sent: Mon, May 3, 2010 12:37 pm
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] [Thomson Reuters response to Larsen & von Ins (in press)]

Ok. This indicates that I’mnot the only one who is confused. I only have access to the online version, nothaving licensed a CD-ROM for my analysis work.
-  Apparently it’snot correct to say that SCIE is the online version of SCI.  Is there anoffline batch download or mail-a-hard-drive version of the SCIE?
- Do the national labs and othersthat have locally loaded versions get the SCI or SCIE?
- You all seriously still PRINTthe SCI?  Really? Wow. (not a serious question)
- Presumably which version you’reusing makes a huge difference to your analysis and conclusions – do allauthors indicate which they’re using (I know some do)?
- Are the National ScienceIndicators really using SCI or really using SCIE? I know some Europeancountries use Thomson Reuters data – are they all using the same data?All SCI, all SCIE, some of each, no one knows?

Christina Pikas

----
Christina K Pikas
Librarian
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Christina.Pikas at jhuapl.edu
(240) 228 4812 (DC area)
(443) 778 4812 (Baltimore area)