Wray, KB. 2010. Philosophy of Science: What are the Key Journals in the Field?. ERKENNTNIS 72 (3): 423-430

Sun May 2 20:55:29 EDT 2010

Wray, KB. 2010. Philosophy of Science: What are the Key Journals in the Field?.
ERKENNTNIS 72 (3): 423-430.

Author Full Name(s): Wray, K. Brad

Language: English
Document Type: Article
KeyWords Plus: HISTORY

Abstract: By means of a citation analysis I aim to determine which scholarly
journals are most important in the sub-field of philosophy of science. My
analysis shows that the six most important journals in the sub-field are
Philosophy of Science, British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, Journal of
Philosophy, Synthese, Studies in History and Philosophy of Science, and
Erkenntnis. Given the data presented in this study, there is little evidence that
there is such a field as the history and philosophy of science (HPS). Rather,
philosophy of science is most properly conceived of as a sub-field of
philosophy.

Addresses: SUNY Coll Oswego, Dept Philosophy, Oswego, NY 13126 USA
Reprint Address: Wray, KB, SUNY Coll Oswego, Dept Philosophy, 211 Campus
Ctr, Oswego, NY 13126 USA.
E-mail Address: kwray at oswego.edu

ISSN: 0165-0106
DOI: 10.1007/s10670-010-9214-6