Studies investigating the refusal rates of peer reviewing in journals

JZUS jzus at ZJU.EDU.CN
Thu Jun 10 00:03:17 EDT 2010

Dear Dr. Gemma Derrick,

We did a rought investigation about this topic. Yes, since Journal of Zhejiang University-SCIENCE started the international peer review, it has been almost for 7 years. You can visit our website to see more information about the international reviewers list ( http://www.zju.edu.cn/jzus/reviewer.php ) that will show you much more interesting information .
First of all,  we have to suppose the referee received the invitation letter, in this condition, at the early three years (2003-2005), the refusal rates was about 70%; However since 2005, the refusal rates was reduced to about 40%; which meand our journal's referees accepting review invitation rate is just  increasing year by year.
Of course, we have to admit the refusal rates still keep at about 25%, and we analysed the reasons are:

1. They are busy without time for the peer reviewing, but they will answer the editor, and recommend others;
2. They are not intersting in our journals or papers, and they usually did not answer anything (about 8 % since  2008)
3. They are not familiar to this thin topic even though they are in this area,but they will answer the editor   or recommend others;

Of course, we are collecting the detail data from our EM systerm and keeped record from JZUS(A/B/C),maybe someday, we will publish the research report.

Thanks for your attention to the rough analysis, and also welcome your all visit our journals website (http://www.zju.edu.cn/jzus ) for more information, thanks.

Sincerely,
Helen ZHANG, Managing Editor of JZUS(A/B/C)
http://www.zju.edu.cn/jzus
http://www.springerlink.com
+86-571-87952276
2010-06-10