FW: FW: [SIGMETRICS] Books or articles? in economics

Eugene Garfield eugene.garfield at THOMSONREUTERS.COM
Thu Jul 22 11:07:07 EDT 2010

THE ECONOMIC RECORD, VOL. 79, NO. 245, JUNE, 2003, 229–244

229

KENNETH  W. CLEMENTS† and PATRICIA WANG

Economic Research Centre, Department of Economics, The University of Western Australia,

Western Australia, Australia

J027BETOu09lChrxan01iefOcg23eo kE -iRr2?n0wcd?02ao?,e04l n?U l29Alo KPmrtuiicbcl leRisehcionrgd Ltd.

EWCHOON COIMTEICS RWEHCAOTR?D

Who Cites What?*

The present paper analyses citations in the work of a large number of

PhD students. We show that the pattern of citations of journal articles,

books and other reference material differs substantially across areas

within economics. An investigation of reciprocal citations reveals a

surprisingly low degree of communication among the Group of Eight

universities and a high propensity to cite authors from the same

institution, especially supervisors. We also analyse the Australian share

of cited works, and identify journals, articles and authors that PhD

students value highly.

I Introduction

As the

Table 3 classifies the references into type and area.

The last row of Panel A of the table shows that on

average for all areas, journal articles account for

57 per cent, books 27 per cent and other items 16

per cent. Quandt (1976; p. 750) has provided comparable

figures on book citations in eight major

economics journals in 1970 and, interestingly, the

average of his figures, approximately 30 per cent,

is not too different from ours. In Panel C of

Table 3 we use departures from independence as a

measure of the intensity of the three types of references

And there may be other relevant articles if you continue the search. EG

Eugene Garfield, PhD. email:  garfield at codex.cis.upenn.edu <mailto:garfield at codex.cis.upenn.edu>
home page: www.eugenegarfield.org <http://www.eugenegarfield.org/>