Studies showing that review articles get more citations

Tom Wilson wilsontd at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 23 08:51:00 EST 2010

Is it really worth exploring?  I'd have thought it self-evident that, if you
are looking for a review of the literature, as most authors are, you'll site
existing reviews; similarly with methodology - if you are using a particular
theoretical perspective you'll want to cite others as confirmation that you
are on the right track.  One of the problems of bibliometrics appears to be
a stunning facility for determining the obvious :-)

Tom Wilson

On 23 February 2010 12:23, Jacques Wainer <wainer at ic.unicamp.br> wrote:

> I used:
>
> @Article{reviewpap1,
>  author =       {Aksnes, D. W.},
>  title =        {Citation rates and perceptions of scientific
> contribution},
>  journal =      {Journal of the American Society for Information Science
> and Technology},
>  year =         2006,
>  key =          2,
>  volume =       57,
>  pages =        {169-185},
> doi = {10.1002/asi.20262}}
>

> @Article{reviewpap3,
>  author =       {H. P. F. Peters  and  A. F. J. van Raan},
>  title =        {On determinants of citation scores: A case study in
> chemical engineering},
>  journal =      {Journal of the American Society for Information Science},
>  year =         1994,
>  volume =       45,
>  number =       1,
>  pages =        {39 - 49}}
>

> as two references to the phenomenon. In this line, does anyone know
> of studies that point out that METHODOLOGICAL papers are also cited more
> than other research?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jacques Wainer

Professor Tom Wilson, PhD, PhD (h.c.),
Publisher and Editor in Chief: Information Research: an international
electronic journal
Website - http://InformationR.net/ir/
Blog - http://info-research.blogspot.com/
Photoblog - http://tomwilson.shutterchance.com/