van Nierop, E. 2010. The introduction of the 5-year impact factor: does it benefit statistics journals?. STATISTICA NEERLANDICA 64 (1): 71-76.

Tue Feb 16 10:46:59 EST 2010

van Nierop, E. 2010. The introduction of the 5-year impact factor: does it
benefit statistics journals?. STATISTICA NEERLANDICA 64 (1): 71-76.

Author Full Name(s): van Nierop, Erjen

Language: English
Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: impact factors; 5-year impact factor; citations

Abstract: In this paper, we investigate the effects of the introduction of 5-
year impact factors. We collect impact factor data for all disciplines available in
the Journal Citation Reports. For all these categories, we give insights into the
relationship between the traditional 2-year impact factor and the new 5-year
impact factor. Our main focus is to investigate whether the traditionally low
impact factors for statistics journals improve with this new measure. The
results show that the statistics discipline indeed benefits from the 5-year
window, that is, the impact factor increases. This appears to be true for most
disciplines, although the statistics discipline ranks among the top 15 (out of
171) disciplines in this respect.

Addresses: Univ Groningen, Fac Econ & Business, Dept Mkt, NL-9700 AV
Groningen, Netherlands

Reprint Address: van Nierop, E, Univ Groningen, Fac Econ & Business, Dept Mkt,
POB 800, NL-9700 AV Groningen, Netherlands.

E-mail Address: j.e.m.van.nierop at rug.nl

ISSN: 0039-0402
DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-9574.2009.00448.x