Battilana, J; Anteby, M; Sengul, M. 2010. The Circulation of Ideas across Academic Communities: When locals re-import exported ideas. ORGANIZATION STUDIES 31 (6): 695-713

Sat Aug 7 15:23:44 EDT 2010

Battilana, J; Anteby, M; Sengul, M. 2010. The Circulation of Ideas across
Academic Communities: When locals re-import exported ideas. ORGANIZATION
STUDIES 31 (6): 695-713.

Author Full Name(s): Battilana, Julie; Anteby, Michel; Sengul, Metin
Language: English
Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: circulation of ideas; re-importation; translation
KeyWords Plus: MANAGEMENT JOURNALS; ORGANIZATION; ARCHITECTURE;
KNOWLEDGE; PRODUCT; INDEX

Abstract: The circulation of ideas across academic communities is central to
academic pursuits and has attracted much past scholarly attention. As North
American-based scholars with European ties, we decided to examine the impact
of Organization Studies in North American academia with the objective of
understanding what, if anything, makes some Organization Studies articles more
likely to have impact in North America than others. To set the stage for better
understanding the role of Organization Studies in this academic community, we
first present the key characteristics of North American academia. Secondly,
relying on archival data spanning the first 29 years of Organization Studies
(1980 to 2008, inclusive), we identify an apparent dynamic of select re-
importation of exported ideas. Put otherwise, top North American journals tend
to re-import ideas authored (and exported) by select North American scholars
in Organizations Studies. Thirdly, we discuss the implications of this process on
the field of organization studies and on the circulation of ideas across academic
communities.

Addresses: [Battilana, Julie; Anteby, Michel] Harvard Univ, Sch Business,
Boston, MA 02163 USA; [Sengul, Metin] Boston Coll, Carroll Sch Management,
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467 USA

Reprint Address: Battilana, J, Harvard Univ, Sch Business, Morgan Hall 327,
Boston, MA 02163 USA.

E-mail Address: jbattilana at hbs.edu; manteby at hbs.edu; metin.sengul at bc.edu
ISSN: 0170-8406
DOI: 10.1177/0170840610372573