What is an International Journal?

ali uzun azun at METU.EDU.TR
Thu Sep 3 05:04:29 EDT 2009

Dear Ruben,
One feature of an International journal may be its lenguage and
another may be the composition of its editorial board (nationality of
board members). Conversely, a scholarly journal with an editorial
board coming from the same country publishes papers from every
country. What I am trying to say is that  if a journal which is
assumed to be international could attract papers only from a few
countries is not really/fully international. It may be considered as
local. So, conversly, the internationality of a journal may have a
bearing on its editorial board and policies, funding prosedures, etc.
Some of the references are (1) Elster, A.D., Chen, M.Y.M (1994). The
Internationalization of of the American Journal of Roentgenology, Am.
J.Roent. 16 2(3), 519-522
(2)Abt. H. A. (1990). Trends Toward Internationalization in
Astronomical Literature. Publications of the Astronomical Society of
the Pecific, 102, 368-372, (3) Uzun, A. (2004). Assessing
internationality of scholarly journals through foreign authorship
patterns. Scientometrics, Vol. 61, No. 3, 457-465.
Regards
Ali Uzun
Dept. Stat.
Middle East Tech. Univ. Ankara-Turkey

> Hi you guys there,
>
> I am trying to write a paper on author productivity and publishing
in scholarly journals. I have read a lot about this topic and
insistently some of you guys talk about the need for an author to
publish in "an International journal". But what is an international
journal? What features should have a journal to be international? It
really exist an international Journal?

> When we talk about books, we tend not to think in an international
book, or an international dissertation, or an international grey
literature. This way of thinking only show up with journals.