SV: [SIGMETRICS] What is an International Journal?

Fredrik Åström Fredrik.Astrom at LUB.LU.SE
Thu Sep 3 04:27:25 EDT 2009

Hi there,
that is an interesting question:
- is it based on where the editorial board comes from?
- is it based on where the contributing authors comes from?
- is it based on to what extent the journal is read internationally?

The issue was debated in Europe in relation to an intiative by the European Science Foundation (ESF: http://www.esf.org/) where the compiled a ranked/categorized list of journals in the humanities, the European Reference Index of Humanities (ERIH: http://www.esf.org/research-areas/humanities/research-infrastructures-including-erih.html), and one of the criteria for ranking/categorization was whether the journal was national or international. Their definition is as follows:
"A journal is international (Categories A and B) when the following requirements are
fulfilled in addition to those that apply to all journals:
• A genuine, varied and regular international cohort of contributors and readership
• Consistently high-quality scholarly content
• Broad consensus within the field concerning international status and visibility
[...]
• Active international advisory board"
(Guidelines..., http://www.esf.org/index.php?eID=tx_nawsecuredl&u=0&file=fileadmin/be_user/research_areas/HUM/Documents/ERIH/ERIH%20summary_guidelines_Sept_07.pdf&t=1252055978&hash=6919297e2e860d8c6a211900d855902d)

I know I've read at least on paper discussing this definition and its problems, but can't quite remember title, author or in what context. Sorry about that.

All the best,
Fredrik
Fredrik Åström, PhD
Lund University Libraries, Head Office