networks among cities on the basis of the Science Citation Index

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Mon Nov 9 03:45:22 EST 2009

Dear colleagues,

In the series of programs available from
http://www.leydesdorff.net/indicators for analyzing data from the major
Science & Technology databases in terms of networks of communication, I
added one which enables the user to extract city names in the address field
as a separate networks. This program may prove useful, for example, in the
regional geography of science.

Currently, the program was tested for city names and postcodes in the US,
Western Europe (including the UK and some Commonwealth nations), China and
Japan. I expect problems in other parts of the world. Please, provide me
with feedback if such is the case. (Preferentially send me the download
records that cause the problems.) The program is available at
http://www.leydesdorff.net/software/CityColl/index.htm .

Let me take the opportunity to mention also the availability of Pajek input
files for mapping the citation environments of the 1,157 journals included
in the Arts & Humanities Citation Index 2008, at
http://www.leydesdorff.net/ah08/index.htm . These journals can be studied in
terms of both their cited and citing patterns using these files. The data
contains cosine-normalized matrices of the k = 1 environments of these
journals (without thresholds).

With best wishes,

Loet Leydesdorff

Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel. +31-20-525 6598; fax: +31-842239111
loet at leydesdorff.net; http://www.leydesdorff.net/