Radicchi, F; Fortunato, S; Castellano, C Universality of citation distributions: Toward an objective measure of scientific impact PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, 105 (45): 17268-17272 NOV 11 2008

Thu Jan 15 16:03:29 EST 2009

E-mail Address: claudio.castellano at romal.infn.it

Author(s): Radicchi, F (Radicchi, Filippo); Fortunato, S (Fortunato,
Santo); Castellano, C (Castellano, Claudio)

Title: Universality of citation distributions: Toward an objective measure
of scientific impact

Source: PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED
STATES OF AMERICA, 105 (45): 17268-17272 NOV 11 2008

Language: English

Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: bibliometrics; analysis; h index

Keywords Plus: SCIENTOMETRIC INDICATORS; FIELD-NORMALIZATION; CROSS-FIELD;
H-INDEX; SCIENCE; PUBLICATION; PERFORMANCE; OUTPUT; POWER; MODEL

Abstract: We study the distributions of citations received by a single
publication within several disciplines, spanning broad areas of science.
We show that the probability that an article is cited c times has large
variations between different disciplines, but all distributions are
rescaled on a universal curve when the relative indicator c(f) = c/c(0) is
considered, where c(0) is the average number of citations per article for
the discipline. In addition we show that the same universal behavior
occurs when citation distributions of articles published in the same
field, but in different years, are compared. These findings provide a
strong validation of cf as an unbiased indicator for citation performance
across disciplines and years. Based on this indicator, we introduce a
generalization of the h index suitable for comparing scientists working in
different fields.

Addresses: [Castellano, Claudio] Univ Roma La Sapienza, CNR, Natl Inst
Phys Matter, Ctr Stat Mech & Complex, I-00185 Rome, Italy; [Castellano,
Claudio] Univ Roma La Sapienza, Dipartimento Fis, I-00185 Rome, Italy;
[Radicchi, Filippo; Fortunato, Santo] Inst Sci Interchanged Fdn, Complex
Networks Lagrange Lab, I-10133 Turin, Italy

Reprint Address: Castellano, C, Univ Roma La Sapienza, CNR, Natl Inst Phys
Matter, Ctr Stat Mech & Complex, Piazzale A Moro 2, I-00185 Rome, Italy.

E-mail Address: claudio.castellano at romal.infn.it

Cited Reference Count: 29

Times Cited: 0

Publisher: NATL ACAD SCIENCES

Publisher Address: 2101 CONSTITUTION AVE NW, WASHINGTON, DC 20418 USA

ISSN: 0027-8424

DOI: 10.1073/pnas.0806977105

29-char Source Abbrev.: PROC NAT ACAD SCI USA

ISO Source Abbrev.: Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A.

Source Item Page Count: 5

Subject Category: Multidisciplinary Sciences

ISI Document Delivery No.: 373OP

*EV LTD
US BIBL MEAS RES QUA : 2007

ADLER R
CITATION STAT : 2008

ALTHOUSE BM
ARXIV08043116V1 : 2008

BALL P
Index aims for fair ranking of scientists
NATURE 436 : 900 DOI 10.1038/436900a 2005

BORNMANN L
What do citation counts measure? A review of studies on citing behavior
JOURNAL OF DOCUMENTATION 64 : 45 2008

BROOKS TA
EVIDENCE OF COMPLEX CITER MOTIVATIONS
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE 37 : 34 1986

EGGHE L
INTRO INFORM QUANTIT : 1990

EGGHE L
Theory and practise of the g-index
SCIENTOMETRICS 69 : 131 DOI 10.1007/s11192-006-0144-7 2006

FORTUNATO S
Scaling and universality in proportional elections
PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS 99 : ARTN 138701 2007

GARFIELD E
CITATION INDEXING IT : 1979

HIRSCH JE
Does the h index have predictive power?
PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF
AMERICA 104 : 19193 DOI 10.1073/pnas.0707962104 2007

HIRSCH JE
An index to quantify an individual's scientific research output
PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF
AMERICA 102 : 16569 DOI 10.1073/pnas.0507655102 2005

IGLESIAS JE
Scaling the h-index for different scientific ISI fields
SCIENTOMETRICS 73 : 303 DOI 10.1007/s11192-007-1805-x 2007

KING DA
The scientific impact of nations
NATURE 430 : 311 DOI 10.1038/430311a 2004

KINNEY AL
National scientific facilities and their science impact on nonbiomedical
research
PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF
AMERICA 104 : 17943 DOI 10.1073/pnas.0704416104 2007

LUNDBERG J
Lifting the crown-citation z-score
JOURNAL OF INFORMETRICS 1 : 145 DOI 10.1016/j.joi.2006.09.007 2007

MOED HF
NEW BIBLIOMETRIC TOOLS FOR THE ASSESSMENT OF NATIONAL RESEARCH
PERFORMANCE - DATABASE DESCRIPTION, OVERVIEW OF INDICATORS AND FIRST
APPLICATIONS
SCIENTOMETRICS 33 : 381 1995

NARANAN S
POWER LAW RELATIONS IN SCIENCE BIBLIOGRAPHY - SELF-CONSISTENT
INTERPRETATION
JOURNAL OF DOCUMENTATION 27 : 83 1971

PLEROU V
Similarities between the growth dynamics of university research and of
competitive economic activities
NATURE 400 : 433 1999

REDNER S
How popular is your paper? An empirical study of the citation distribution
EUROPEAN PHYSICAL JOURNAL B 4 : 131 1998

REDNER S
Citation statistics from 110 years of Physical Review
PHYSICS TODAY 58 : 49 2005

SCHUBERT A
Cross-field normalization of scientometric indicators
SCIENTOMETRICS 36 : 311 1996

SCHUBERT A
RELATIVE INDICATORS AND RELATIONAL CHARTS FOR COMPARATIVE-ASSESSMENT OF
PUBLICATION OUTPUT AND CITATION IMPACT
SCIENTOMETRICS 9 : 281 1986

SEGLEN PO
THE SKEWNESS OF SCIENCE
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE 43 : 628 1992

VANRAAN AFJ
SCIENTOMETRICS 59 : 461 2004

VANRAAN AFJ
Competition amongst scientists for publication status: Toward a model of
scientific publication and citation distributions
SCIENTOMETRICS 51 : 347 2001

VINKLER P
Relations of relative scientometric indicators
SCIENTOMETRICS 58 : 687 2003

VINKLER P
Model for quantitative selection of relative scientometric impact
indicators
SCIENTOMETRICS 36 : 223 1996

ZITT M
Relativity of citation performance and excellence measures: From cross-
field to cross-scale effects of field-normalisation
SCIENTOMETRICS 63 : 373 DOI 10.1007/s11192-005-0218-y 2005