New paper on peer review

Bornmann Lutz lutz.bornmann at GESS.ETHZ.CH
Thu Feb 26 13:36:49 EST 2009

Dear colleague:

You might be interested in our new OA paper:

Bornmann, L. & Daniel, H.-D. (2009). The luck of the referee draw: would
it make a difference if a journal editor exchanged one review for
another? Learned Publishing, 22(2), 117-125.

Abstract: In journal peer review, editorial decisions on submitted
manuscripts are informed by referees' expert recommendations; however,
the choice of referees may affect these decisions. Using data from
Angewandte Chemie International Edition (AC-IE), this study tested what
would have happened if referee reports had been received

in a different order. In AC-IE's peer-review process, a manuscript is
generally published only if two referees rate the results of the study
as important and also recommend publication in the journal (what we have
called the 'clear-cut' rule). For 23% of those manuscripts for which a
third referee report arrived after the editorial decision was made (37
of 162), this rule would have led to a different decision if the third
report had replaced either of the others.

Please find the paper attached.

Kind regards,

Lutz Bornmann

-------------------------------------

Dr. Lutz Bornmann

ETH Zurich, D-GESS

Professorship for Social Psychology and Research on Higher Education

Zaehringerstr. 24 / ZAE

CH-8092 Zurich

Phone: 0041 44 632 48 25

Fax: 0041 44 632 12 83