Reward or persuasion? The battle to define the meaning of a citation

David E. Wojick dwojick at HUGHES.NET
Thu Feb 12 11:32:44 EST 2009

Phil,

I never said I had no use for schools of sociology that view science as a social process. I said I had no use for schools that take metaphors as explanations. Your confusion may be a symptom of your science. In fact I do research on science as a social process. My team just made what we think is a breakthru discovery of a phase change in co-author networks that occurs as new communities form. See http://www.osti.gov/innovation/research/diffusion/OSTIBettencourtKaiser.pdf

But I am indeed a rationalist, albeit not an 18th century one. I believe science exists because it is a successful instance of organized collective reasoning. It follows that the principal features of science are going to be based on the nature of that reasoning. Given this there is no reason to ignore the obvious explanations for citations in favor of esoteric hidden social mechanisms, although these may indeed exist as part of the process.

As a student of scientific language and confusion I find the term "contextual meaning" to be almost meaningless. It seems to refer to everything that is going on when language is used, except the direct meaning of what is said. As such it is too broad and vague to be meaningful as scientific language. It is another metaphor. If you want to talk about specific social mehanisms that may affect the practice of citation, beyond the obvious ones of explanation and reference, that is fine. Let's see the evidence. What I object to is the a priori claim that such mechanisms dominate or define the practice of citation. They do not.

My best regards,
David

--

"David E. Wojick, Ph.D., PE" <WojickD at osti.gov>