Using Web of Science to study the growth of an area of research

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Fri Feb 6 14:57:09 EST 2009

Dear Carol,

It is not completely correct. The number in small prints of the total set is
not confined to articles. Insofar as I know, it is all documents in the
database.

> I have been assured means that XXX,XXX,XXX is the total number of
> articles that were included in the WOS Sci Ed database for that year.
>
> Thus it is possible to get a simple ratio between the number of total
> articles and the number of articles that appeared on a
> particular topic
> in a particular year.
>
> I have been assured by two Thomson consultants that this is
> true, but I
> would be very grateful if someone from this list would agree
> that this
> is the correct understanding of these figures.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Carol
>
> --
> Carol A. Brach
> Engineering Librarian
> University of Notre Dame
> (574)631-5070

Best wishes, Loet

Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel. +31-20-525 6598; fax: +31-842239111
loet at leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/