Using Web of Science to study the growth of an area of research

Carol Brach brach.10 at ND.EDU
Fri Feb 6 14:17:07 EST 2009

Hello everyone, I am brand new to this list and appreciate the
opportunity to ask a question.

I would like to validate data that I retrieved from Web of Science,
Science Ed.

If you do a "search for" a topic on the main search page, and use the
timespan limit to limit retrieval to one year only (eg. 1991 - 1991) at
the very end of the results page, in small print you see "XXXX records
matched your query of the XXX,XXX,XXX in the data limits you selected".

I have been assured means that XXX,XXX,XXX is the total number of
articles that were included in the WOS Sci Ed database for that year.

Thus it is possible to get a simple ratio between the number of total
articles and the number of articles that appeared on a particular topic
in a particular year.

I have been assured by two Thomson consultants that this is true, but I
would be very grateful if someone from this list would agree that this
is the correct understanding of these figures.

Thank you!

Carol

--
Carol A. Brach