silent changes in WoS

Juan Gorraiz juan.gorraiz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Thu Feb 5 11:36:43 EST 2009

Many regular journals are publishing “proceedings papers” in special
issues. If these papers were considered before as “articles” and have
been consequently changed to “proceedings papers”, there may be changes
in the JCR Metrics! If they were not changed, they are differently
processed from the other proceedings publications!

JCR Metrics is perhaps not so strongly influenced but a lot of analyses
performed by users (and considering the category “articles”) may not be
anymore reproducible and so lacking of scientific character.

Another problem is how the JCR Metrics will be defined in the future,
including or not the Proceedings. However, as we already reported,
citations coming from some Proceedings (for example Proceedings of the
IEEE and some other Series) were always (!) considered calculating the
Impact Factor of the core Journals but not consequently (only citations
from “some” issues indexed in WoS).
Now, there is an opportunity to consider consequently all the citations
coming from the Proceedings. But this is also a controversial subject:
Is then the selection criteria (used to define the core ISI-journals)
also valid for the Proceedings (even if they never before had IFs)?

Kind regards
Juan

juan.gorraiz at univie.ac.at