Sharan, U (Sharan, Umang); Neville, J (Neville, Jennifer) Temporal-Relational Classifiers for Prediction in Evolving Domains ICDM 2008: EIGHTH IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON DATA MINING, PROCEEDINGS: 540-549 2008

Tue Apr 14 12:26:34 EDT 2009

Author(s): Sharan, U (Sharan, Umang); Neville, J (Neville, Jennifer)

Editor(s): Gunopulos, D; Turini, F; Zaniolo, C; Ramakrishnan, N; Wu, XD

Book Author(s): Giannotti, F

Title: Temporal-Relational Classifiers for Prediction in Evolving Domains

Source: ICDM 2008: EIGHTH IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON DATA MINING,
PROCEEDINGS: 540-549 2008

Book series title: IEEE International Conference on Data Mining

Language: English

Document Type: Proceedings Paper

Conference Title: 8th IEEE International Conference on Data Mining

Conference Date: DEC 15-19, 2008

Conference Location: Pisa, ITALY

Conference Sponsors: IEEE.; Yahoo Res.; WIND.; Microsoft.; Ask com.; IBM.;
Natl Sci Fdn.; coop.; base.; Univ Pisa.; Brite.; Comune Pisa.; Prov Pisa.;
Prov Lucca.; Inst Sci & Tecnol Informazione.; Consiglio Nazl Ric.;
GeoPKDD.; Camera Commercia Pisa.

Abstract: Many relational domains contain temporal information and
dynamics that are important to model (e.g., social networks, protein
networks). However past work in relational learning has focused primarily
on modeling static "snap-shots" of the data and has largely ignored the
temporal dimension of these data. In. this work we extend relational
techniques to temporally-evolving domains and outline a representational
framework that is capable of modeling both temporal and relational
dependencies in the data. We develop efficient learning and inference
techniques within the framework by considering a restricted set of
temporal-relational dependencies and using parameter-tying methods to
generalize across relationships and entities. More specifically, we model
dynamic relational data with a two-phase process, first summarizing the
temporal-relational information with kernel smoothing, and then moderating
attribute dependencies with the summarized relational information. We
develop a number of novel temporal-relational models using the framework
and then show that the current approaches to modeling static relational
data are special cases within the framework. We compare the new models to
the competing static relational methods on three real-world datasets and
show that the temporal-relational models consistently outperform the
relational models that ignore temporal information-achieving significant
reductions in error ranging from 15% to 70%.

Addresses: [Sharan, Umang] Purdue Univ, Dept Comp Sci, W Lafayette, IN
47907 USA

Reprint Address: Sharan, U, Purdue Univ, Dept Comp Sci, W Lafayette, IN
47907 USA.

Cited Reference Count: 24

Times Cited: 0

Publisher: IEEE COMPUTER SOC

Publisher Address: 10662 LOS VAQUEROS CIRCLE, PO BOX 3014, LOS ALAMITOS,
CA 90720-1264 USA

ISSN: 1550-4786

ISBN: 978-0-7695-3502-9

29-char Source Abbrev.: IEEE DATA MINING

Source Item Page Count: 10

ISI Document Delivery No.: BJA60

AMITAY E
Trend detection through temporal link analysis
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
55 : 1270 DOI 10.1002/asi.20082 2004

BHARAT K
P IEEE INT C DAT MIN : 2001

BLAU H
0128 U MASS AMH COMP : 2001

CAI D
P 9 EUR C PRINC PRAC : 2005

CHAKRABARTI S
P ACM SIGMODD INT C : 1998

CORTES C
P 4 INT S INT DAT AN : 2001

DOMINGOS P
On the optimality of the simple Bayesian classifier under zero-one loss
MACHINE LEARNING 29 : 103 1997

DOMINGOS P
P 7 ACM SIGKDD INT C : 2001

EGGHE L
J AM SOC INF SCI TEC 52 : 2001

FRIEDMAN N
P 16 INT JOINT C ART : 1999

GARFIELD E
CITATION ANALYSIS AS A TOOL IN JOURNAL EVALUATION - JOURNALS CAN BE RANKED
BY FREQUENCY AND IMPACT OF CITATIONS FOR SCIENCE POLICY STUDIES
SCIENCE 178 : 471 1972

GHAHRAMANI Z
Learning dynamic Bayesian networks
ADAPTIVE PROCESSING OF SEQUENCES AND DATA STRUCTURES 1387 : 168 1998

GUESTRIN C
P INT JOINT C ART IN : 2003

GUO F
P 24 INT C MACH LEAR : 2007