Past performance, peer review, and project selection: A case study in the social and behavioral sciences: PDF version

James Hartley j.hartley at PSY.KEELE.AC.UK
Mon Apr 6 06:35:09 EDT 2009

Re - David's point that research proposals should be judged on their merit, more or less independently of past performance.

Some (most?) research councils in the UK require applicants to list their previous applications to them, and their success or not at obtaining a grant from them - so it is hard not to imagine that previous performance plays a part in the refereeing process - undesirable as this might be!

Jim

James Hartley
School of Psychology
Keele University
Staffordshire
ST5 5BG
UK
j.hartley at psy.keele.ac.uk
http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/ps/people/JHartley/index.htm
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Wojick
  To: SIGMETRICS at listserv.utk.edu
  Sent: Sunday, April 05, 2009 10:26 PM
  Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] Past performance, peer review, and project selection: A case study in the social and behavioral sciences: PDF version

  Dear Peter van den Besselaar,

  This is very interesting, but after reading only the abstract I find it puzzling. There seems to be an assumption that past performance should be a significant factor in the success of proposals. One hopes that proposals are selected on their own merit, more or less independently of past performance. If so then the empirical question is whether past performance influences the quality of present proposals, not whether it influences their selection.

  Moreover, one should not be surprised to find that past performance does not correlate with present quality, for a variety of reasons. For example, past performance may be based on important discoveries that only occur once or a few times for a given researcher, so new proposals weaken with time. Or the focus of science may shift so that past discoveries, and their performers, are no longer relevant. In other words, the dynamics of science might tend to work against a correlation between past performance and proposal selection. If so then the lack of such correlation is not a criticism of the proposal selection body. Past performance and present quality of proposals are simply independent variables. But perhaps I misunderstand the abstract.

  Cheers, David

  David Wojick, Ph.D.
  391 Flickertail Lane
  Star Tannery VA USA