Habibzadeh, F (Habibzadeh, Farrokh); Yadollahie, M (Yadollahie, Mahboobeh) Journal weighted impact factor: A proposal JOURNAL OF INFORMETRICS, 2 (2): 164-172 APR 2008

Tue May 27 15:19:38 EDT 2008

E-mail Address: habibzaf at ams.ac.ir; habibzaf at yahoo.com

Author(s): Habibzadeh, F (Habibzadeh, Farrokh); Yadollahie, M (Yadollahie,
Mahboobeh)

Title: Journal weighted impact factor: A proposal

Source: JOURNAL OF INFORMETRICS, 2 (2): 164-172 APR 2008

Language: English

Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: journal impact factor; scientometrics; citation analysis

Abstract: The impact factor of a journal reflects the frequency with which
the journal's articles are cited. It is the best available measure of
journal quality. For calculation of impact factor, we just count the
number of citations, no matter howprestigious the citing journal is. We
think that impact factor as a measure of journal quality, may be improved
if in its calculation, we not only take into account the number of
citations, but also incorporate a factor reflecting the prestige of the
citing journals relative to the cited journal. In calculation of this
proposed "weighted impact factor," each citation has a coefficient
(weight) the value of which is 1 if the citing journal is as prestigious
as the cited journal; is > 1 if the citing journal is more prestigious
than the cited journal; and is < 1 if the citing journal has a lower
standing than the cited journal. In this way, journals receiving many
citations from prestigious journals are considered prestigious themselves
and those cited by low-status journals seek little credit. By considering
both the number of citations and the prestige of the citing journals, we
expect the weighted impact factor be a better scientometrics measure of
journal quality. (C) 2008 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

Addresses: Shiraz NIOC Med Environm & Res Ctr, Shiraz 71955, Iran

Reprint Address: Habibzadeh, F, Shiraz NIOC Med Environm & Res Ctr, POB
71955-575, Shiraz 71955, Iran.

Cited Reference Count: 11

Times Cited: 0

Publisher: ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV

Publisher Address: PO BOX 211, 1000 AE AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS

ISSN: 1751-1577

29-char Source Abbrev.: J INFORMETR

ISO Source Abbrev.: J. Informetr.

Source Item Page Count: 9

Subject Category: Information Science & Library Science

ISI Document Delivery No.: 296TK

BOLLEN J
Journal status
SCIENTOMETRICS 69 : 669 2006

CASON H
PSYCHOL BULL 33 : 95 1936

GARFIELD E
CITATION INDEXES FOR SCIENCE - NEW DIMENSION IN DOCUMENTATION THROUGH
ASSOCIATION OF IDEAS
SCIENCE 122 : 108 1955

GROSS PLK
SCIENCE 66 : 385 1927

KOCHEN M
PRINCIPLES INFORM RE : 1974

LOWY C
Impact factor limits funding
LANCET 350 : 1035 1997

MOED HF
Citation analysis of scientific journals and journal impact measures
CURRENT SCIENCE 89 : 1990 2005

PINSKI G
CITATION INFLUENCE FOR JOURNAL AGGREGATES OF SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATIONS -
THEORY, WITH APPLICATION TO LITERATURE OF PHYSICS
INFORMATION PROCESSING & MANAGEMENT 12 : 297 1976

ROGERS I
GOOGLE PAGERANK ALGO : 2006

SAHA S
Impact factor: a valid measure of journal quality?
JOURNAL OF THE MEDICAL LIBRARY ASSOCIATION 91 : 42 2003

SEGLEN PO
Why the impact factor of journals should not be used for evaluating
research
BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL 314 : 498 1997