New Beta version of the Ranking Web of World Repositories

Isidro F. Aguillo isidro at CINDOC.CSIC.ES
Mon May 26 09:17:43 EDT 2008

We have taken into account some of the suggestions regarding the Ranking
Web of World Repositories for the new Beta 2 version. We have changed
the domain that it is now autonomous from the Universities Ranking one:

http://repositories.webometrics.info/

This will allow to be more flexible in the future and to enlarge and
diversify the coverage. Now we are ranking the Top 300 instead the first
200 as in the previous edition. New repositories have been added, like
PubMedCentral that was missed and others have been deleted because they
are not focused on research papers.

The most important changes are related to ranking methodology: For the
Rich files ranking we are considering only Adobe Acrobat pdf files, as
other formats numbers were very low for ranking purposes. For the same
reason, only data extracted from Google and Yahoo were considered.
Regarding Scholar ranking, it is now build from the mean between the
total number of items and those published between 2001 and 2008 to
increase the weight of the "freshness".

Finally we are suggesting the use of Google Analytics as common minimum
standards for obtaining usage data, clearly the weakest point of our
current approach.

Comments are welcomed as usual,

--
Isidro F. Aguillo