letters on impact factors in the April 2008 issue of The Scientist.

Eugene Garfield eugene.garfield at THOMSON.COM
Tue May 13 14:25:15 EDT 2008

Bias out of the bottle

In "Publishing bias out of the bottle," (1) a scientist surveyed the
drinking habits and publication records of avian ecologists and
evolutionary biologists in the Czech Republic (home to the highest beer
consumption rates), and found that the number of papers published, the
total number of citations received, and the average number of citations per
paper all declined with increased beer consumption.

Based on the number of surveys responded, and how the participants were
selected, I believe that this report has done nothing better than to
increase clicks-per-day for the journal that published the study (Oikos)
and some other news agencies. However, it can also serve as a joke to boot
sleepy people in the lab.

Dzung Le
Institute for Agricultural Engineering, Ministry of Agriculture
Hanoi, Vietnam
webmaster at cynosura.org

References

1. E. Dolgin, " Publishing bias out of the bottle," The Scientist News
Blog, March 18, 2008;

The impact of impact factor

Re: "A new proposal for citation data," in which researchers propose a new
way of evaluating papers, 1 I believe that the impact factor is outdated,
and it is open to manipulation. 2 Isn't it grotesque that in today's day
and age scientists publish in different journals instead of a single, fully
searchable and cross-referenced, peer-reviewed database? If overnight all
journals were wiped out and you were king for a day, would you recreate
approximately 20,000 different scholarly journals? With today's technology,
would you even create two?

Bjoern Brembs
Freie Universtat Berlin
Berlin, Germany
bjoern at brembs.net

Many scientists dedicate themselves to the impact factor, trying to publish
papers with many citations. I think most of them go in a wrong way,
focusing on those fields where it is easy to publish papers. In China, this
problem is very serious: Professors must have certain papers to be
qualified, postgraduates must have papers to graduate, and these papers
must have certain citations. I think it is time for a new rule to evaluate
researchers' work.

Qian Wang
Graduate School, Academy of Sciences
Beijing, China