Dietrich, JP (Dietrich, J. P.) The importance of being first: Position dependent citation rates on arXiv : astro-ph PUBLICATIONS OF THE ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF THE PACIFIC, 120 (864): 224-228 FEB 2008

Tue Mar 18 15:40:50 EDT 2008

E-mail Address: jdietric at eso.org

Author(s): Dietrich, JP (Dietrich, J. P.)

Title: The importance of being first: Position dependent citation rates on
arXiv : astro-ph

Source: PUBLICATIONS OF THE ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF THE PACIFIC, 120
(864): 224-228 FEB 2008

Language: English

Document Type: Article

Abstract: We study the dependence of citation counts of e- Prints
published on the arXiv:astro-ph server on their position in the daily
astro-ph listing. Using the SPIRES literature database we reconstruct the
astro-ph listings from 2002 July to 2005 December and determine citation
counts for e- Prints from their ADS entry. We use Zipf plots to analyze
the citation distributions for each astro-ph position. We find that e-
Prints appearing at or near the top of the astro-ph mailings receive
significantly more citations than those further down the list. This
difference is significant at the 7 sigma level and on average amounts to 2
times more citations for papers at the top than those further down the
listing. We propose three possible nonexclusive explanations for this
positional citation effect and try to test them. We conclude that self-
promotion by authors plays a role in the observed effect but cannot
exclude that increased visibility at the top of the daily listings
contributes to higher citation counts as well. We can rule out that the
positional dependence of citations is caused by the coincidence of the
submission deadline with the working hours of a geographically constrained
set of intrinsically higher- cited authors. We discuss several ways of
mitigating the observed effect, including splitting astro- ph into several
subject classes, randomizing the order of e- Prints, and a novel approach
to sorting entries by relevance to individual readers.

Addresses: ESO, D-85748 Munich, Germany

Reprint Address: Dietrich, JP, ESO, Karl Schwarzschild Str 2, D-85748
Munich, Germany.

E-mail Address: jdietric at eso.org

Cited Reference Count: 10

Times Cited: 0

Publisher: UNIV CHICAGO PRESS

Publisher Address: 1427 E 60TH ST, CHICAGO, IL 60637-2954 USA

ISSN: 0004-6280

HABING H
EUROPEAN REV 15 : 3 2007

HENNEKEN EA
J ELECT PUBLISHING 9 : 2 2006

KURTZ MJ
The NASA Astrophysics Data System: Overview
ASTRONOMY & ASTROPHYSICS SUPPLEMENT SERIES 143 : 41 2000

KURTZ MJ
The effect of use and access on citations
INFORMATION PROCESSING & MANAGEMENT 41 : 1395 DOI
10.1016/j.ipm.2005.03.010 2005

LAWRENCE S
Free online availability substantially increases a paper's impact
NATURE 411 : 521 2001

MAGUE JP
ARXIVSORTER DOCUMENT : 2007

METCALFE TS
B AM ASTRON SOC 37 : 555 2005

REDNER S
How popular is your paper? An empirical study of the citation distribution
EUROPEAN PHYSICAL JOURNAL B 4 : 131 1998

SCHWARZ GJ
B AM ASTRON SOC 36 : 1654 2004

SPERGEL DN
First-year Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) observations:
Determination of cosmological parameters
ASTROPHYSICAL JOURNAL SUPPLEMENT SERIES 148 : 175 2003