Elkiss, A; Shen, S; Fader, A; Erkan, G; States, D; Radev, D Blind men and elephants: What do citation summaries tell us about a research article? JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, 59 (1): 51-62 JAN 1 2008

Mon Mar 3 12:42:53 EST 2008

Back in the seventies we spoke about “citation abstracts”.
Bibliographies, Citations, and Citation Abstracts
http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/essays/v2p190y1974-76.pdf

The authors of the following article  call them “citation summaries.”
They make some interesting proposals for expanding the content of
traditional author abstracts

Email Address: radev at umich.edu

Author(s):  Elkiss, Aaron;  Shen, Siwei;  Fader, Anthony); Erkan, Guenes;
States, David; Radev, Dragomir

Title: Blind men and elephants: What do citation summaries tell us about a
research article?

Source: JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND
TECHNOLOGY, 59 (1): 51-62 JAN 1 2008

Abstract: The old Asian legend about the blind men and the elephant comes
to mind when looking at how different authors of scientific papers
describe a piece of related prior work. It turns out that different
citations to the same paper often focus on different aspects of that paper
and that neither provides a full description of its full set of
contributions. In this article, we will describe our investigation of this
phenomenon. We studied citation summaries in the context of research
papers in the biomedical domain. A citation summary is the set of citing
sentences for a given article and can be used as a surrogate for the
actual article in a variety of scenarios. It contains information that was
deemed by peers to be important. Our study shows that citation summaries
overlap to some extent with the abstracts of the papers and that they also
differ from them in that they focus on different aspects of these papers
than do the abstracts. In addition to this, co-cited articles (which are
pairs of articles cited by another article) tend to be similar. We show
results based on a lexical similarity metric called cohesion to justify
our claims.

Addresses: Univ Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 USA

Reprint Address: Elkiss, A, Univ Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 USA.

Cited Reference Count: 25

Times Cited: 0

Publisher: JOHN WILEY & SONS INC

Publisher Address: 111 RIVER ST, HOBOKEN, NJ 07030 USA

ISSN: 1532-2882

Cited references

BOURNE PE
NUCLEIC ACIDS RES 32 : 223 2004

BRADSHAW S
P 7 EUR C RES ADV TE : 2003

BRADSHAW S
THESIS NW U EVANSTON : 2002

COHEN AM
A survey of current work in biomedical text mining
BRIEFINGS IN BIOINFORMATICS 6 : 57 2005

GARFIELD E
CITATION INDEXES FOR SCIENCE - NEW DIMENSION IN DOCUMENTATION THROUGH
ASSOCIATION OF IDEAS
SCIENCE 122 : 108 1955

GAUTIER R
NUCLEIC ACIDS RES 32 : 508 2004

GOVERDHANA S
Regulatable gene expression systems for gene therapy applications:
Progress and future challenges
MOLECULAR THERAPY 12 : 189 DOI 10.1016/j.ymthe.2005.03.022 2005

KENNY PA
Receptor and secreted targets of Wnt-I/beta-catenin signalling in mouse
mammary epithelial cells
BMC CANCER 5 : ARTN 3 2005

KENNY PA
Retroviral vectors for establishing tetracycline-regulated gene expression
in an otherwise recalcitrant cell line
BMC MOLECULAR BIOLOGY 3 : ARTN 13 2002

KESSLER MM
BIBLIOGRAPHIC COUPLING BETWEEN SCIENTIFIC PAPERS
AMERICAN DOCUMENTATION 14 : 10 1963

KUPIEC J
P 18 ANN INT ACM SIG : 68 1995

LUHN HP
THE AUTOMATIC CREATION OF LITERATURE ABSTRACTS
IBM JOURNAL OF RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT 2 : 159 1958

MENCZER F
Correlated topologies in citation networks and the Web
EUROPEAN PHYSICAL JOURNAL B 38 : 211 DOI 10.1140/epjb/e2004-00114-1 2004

NAKOV PI
WORKSH JUL 29 2004 S : 2004

NANBA H
9 EUR C ECDL 2005 VI 2005 391

NANBA H
P 16 INT JOINT C ART : 926 1999

NANBA H
P AM SOC INF SCI ASI : 117 2004

NANBA H
P RIAO 2004 : 195 2004

NEWMAN MEJ
The structure of scientific collaboration networks
PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF
AMERICA 98 : 404 2001

PORTER MF
READINGS INFORM RETR : 313 1997

RADEV DR
Introduction to the special issue on summarization
COMPUTATIONAL LINGUISTICS 28 : 399 2002

REYNAR JC
P 5 C APPL NAT LANG : 16 1979

SALTON G
TERM-WEIGHTING APPROACHES IN AUTOMATIC TEXT RETRIEVAL
INFORMATION PROCESSING & MANAGEMENT 24 : 513 1988

SMALL H
COCITATION IN SCIENTIFIC LITERATURE - NEW MEASURE OF RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN
2 DOCUMENTS
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE 24 : 265 1973

TEUFEL S
Summarizing scientific articles: Experiments with relevance and rhetorical
status
COMPUTATIONAL LINGUISTICS 28 : 409 2002