On indexing in the Web of Science and predicting journal impact factor.

JZUS jzus at ZJU.EDU.CN
Wed Jul 9 04:41:22 EDT 2008

Title: On indexing in the Web of Science and predicting journal impact factor.
Authors: Xiu-fang WU, Qiang FU, Ronald ROUSSEAU
Source: J Zhejiang Univ Sci B, 2008 9(7):582-590
Http: http://www.zju.edu.cn/jzus/2008/B0807/B080711.htm

We discuss what document types account for the calculation of the journal impact factor (JIF) as published in the Journal Citation Reports (JCR). Based on a brief review of articles discussing how to predict JIFs and taking data differences between the Web of Science (WoS) and the JCR into account, we make our own predictions. Using data by cited-reference searching for Thomson Scientific's WoS, we predict 2007 impact factors (IFs) for several journals, such as Nature, Science, Learned Publishing and some Library and Information Sciences journals. Based on our colleagues' experiences we expect our predictions to be lower bounds for the official journal impact factors. We explain why it is useful to derive one's own journal impact factor.

Key words:  WoS (Web of Science), JCR (Journal Citation Reports), Citation analysis, Predicted impact factors
doi:10.1631/jzus.B0840001