On indexing in the Web of Science and predicting journal impact factor. Xiu-fang WU, Qiang FU, Ronald ROUSSEAU/ J Zhejiang Univ Sci B,2008, 9(7):582-590. DOI:10.1631/jzus.B0840001

Helen(Yuehong) ZHANG jzus at ZJU.EDU.CN
Tue Jul 8 03:20:55 EDT 2008

We discuss what document types account for the calculation of the journal
impact factor (JIF) as published in the Journal Citation Reports (JCR).
Based on a brief review of articles discussing how to predict JIFs and
taking data differences between the Web of Science (WoS) and the JCR into
account, we make our own predictions. Using data by cited-reference
searching for Thomson Scientific’s WoS, we predict 2007 impact factors
(IFs) for several journals, such as Nature, Science, Learned Publishing and
some Library and Information Sciences journals. Based on our colleagues’
experiences we expect our predictions to be lower bounds for the official
journal impact factors. We explain why it is useful to derive one’s own
journal impact factor.