Sandstrom, U (Sandstroem, Ulf); Hallsten, M (Haellsten, Martin) Gender, funding diversity and quality of research PROC OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTL CONF OF THE ISSI, VOLS I AND II 685-690, 2007

Wed Jan 23 09:19:44 EST 2008

Email address: ulfsa at isak.liu.se

Author(s): Sandstrom, U (Sandstroem, Ulf); Hallsten, M (Haellsten, Martin)

Title: Gender, funding diversity and quality of research

Editor(s): TorresSalinas, D; Moed, HF

Source: PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR SCIENTOMETRICS AND INFORMETRICS, VOLS I AND II
685-690, 2007

Language: English
Document Type: Article

Conference Title: 11th International Conference of the International-
Society-for-Scientrometrics-and-Informetrics

Conference Date: JUN 25-27, 2007

Conference Location: Madrid, SPAIN

Conference Sponsors: Int Soc Scientrometr & Informetr, CSIC, Minist Educ &
Ciencia, FECYT, Comunidad Madrid, Eugene Garfield Fdn, Thomson Sci,
Elsevier, Journal Informetr, Scopus, Ayuntamiento Madrid, Sci Metrix, Univ
Carlos III Madrid

Author Keywords: gender; research quality; productivity; performance
indicators; citation analysis; field normalized methods

KeyWords Plus: RESEARCH PRODUCTIVITY

Abstract: We analyze the relation between funding and output using
bibliometric methods with field normalized data. Our approach is to create
a connection between bibliometric data at the individual researcher level
and data on incoming grant (funding) using the specific personal ID-number
(social security code). Data on funding include the person responsible for
the grant. All types of research income are considered in the analysis
yielding a project database with a high level of precision. Results show
that productivity can be explained by background variables, but that
quality of research is un-related to background variables. This is a paper
in progress: our ambition is to extend it in several ways: theoretically,
analytically and empirically.

Addresses: Linkoping Univ, Dept Studies Social Change & Cult, Linkoping,
SE-58183 Sweden.

Publisher Name: INT SOC SCIENTOMETRICS & INFORMETRICS-ISSI
Publisher Address: KATHOLIEKE UNIV LEUVEN, FACULTEIT E T E W, DEKENSTRAAT
2, LEUVEN, B-3000, BELGIUM

Cited Reference Count: 16

BIEBER JP
Faculty research productivity 1972-1988: Development and application of
constant units of measure
RES HIGH EDUC 34 : 551 1993

 BRAXTON JM
PERCEPTIONS OF RESEARCH MISCONDUCT AND AN ANALYSIS OF THEIR CORRELATES
JOURNAL OF HIGHER EDUCATION 65 : 351 1994

 BRAXTON JM
MEASURING FACULTY RE 50 : 1986

 DIETZ JS
Academic careers, patents, and productivity
RES POLICY 34 : 349 2005

 FOX MF
Research, teaching, and publication productivity
SOCIOL EDUC 65 : 293 1992

 GLANZEL W
The need for standards in bibliometric research and technology
SCIENTOMETRICS 35 : 167 1996

 HATTIE J
The relationship between research and teaching: A meta-analysis
REV EDUC RES 66 : 507 1996

 MEGDAL SB
Longitudinal changes in salary at a large public university: what response
to equal pay legislation
AM ECON REV 75 : 271 1985

 MOED HF
CITATION ANAL RES EV : 2005

 NEDERHOF AJ
Quantitative deconstruction of citation impact indicators
J DOC 60 : 658 2004

 PORTER SR
Analyzing faculty workload data using multilevel modeling
RES HIGH EDUC 42 : 171 2001

 SANDSTROM U
SVENSK FORSKNINGSFIN : 2005

 STEPHAN
STRIKING MOTHER LOAD : 1992

 STOKES D
PASTEURS QUADRANTBAS : 1997

 TOUTKOUSHIAN RK
Using publication counts to measure an institution's research productivity
RES HIGH EDUC 44 : 121 2003

 TOUTKOUSHIAN RK
The National Research Council graduate program ratings: What are they
measuring?
REVIEW OF HIGHER EDUCATION 21 : 427 1998