Romero-de-Pablos, et al, Internationalisation of patents by public research organisations from a historical and an economic perspective PROC OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTL CONF OF THE ISSI, VOLS I AND II 677-684, 2007

Wed Jan 23 09:18:55 EST 2008

Email address: anaromero at ifs.csic.es

Author(s): Romero-de-Pablos, A (Romero-de-Pablos, Ana); Azagra-Caro, JM
(Azagra-Caro, Joaquin M.)
Title: Internationalisation of patents by public research organisations
from a historical and an economic perspective

Editor(s): TorresSalinas, D; Moed, HF

Source: PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR SCIENTOMETRICS AND INFORMETRICS, VOLS I AND II
677-684, 2007

Language: English
Document Type: Article

Conference Title: 11th International Conference of the International-
Society-for-Scientrometrics-and-Informetrics

Conference Date: JUN 25-27, 2007

Conference Location: Madrid, SPAIN

Conference Sponsors: Int Soc Scientrometr & Informetr, CSIC, Minist Educ &
Ciencia, FECYT, Comunidad Madrid, Eugene Garfield Fdn, Thomson Sci,
Elsevier, Journal Informetr, Scopus, Ayuntamiento Madrid, Sci Metrix, Univ
Carlos III Madrid

Author Keywords: academic patents; internationalisation; PRO

KeyWords Plus: UNIVERSITY

Abstract: Concerns on the organisation of science about how academics
generate patents tend to focus on a single set of patents, either national
or international. The main objective of this research is to study both in
order to understand their differences. We adopt historical and economic
perspectives to address the issue, with data from the Spanish National
Research Council (CSIC), the largest PRO in Spain. We distinguish three
periods in the history of CSIC, according to the political context:
dictatorship (1939-1975), transition to democracy (19761986) and democracy
(1987-to date). The legal and institutional framework conditioned the
evolution of patenting by CSIC along these periods, finally characterised
by a strong internationalisation of patents. For the late period, we
explore the trends of some other economic inputs of patents and we show
that not all of them lead to every kind of patents. We conclude that the
political and normative context may shape the culture of
internationalisation of patents at PRO like CSIC and that increasing
technological cooperation has supported this internationalisation.
However, very often foreign partners are included in the application to
extend protection abroad for commercial reasons, so their number may not
be a good indicator of inventive activity.

Addresses: CSIC, Inst Filosofia, Dept Ciencia Tecnol & Soc, Madrid, E-
28006 Spain.

Publisher Name: INT SOC SCIENTOMETRICS & INFORMETRICS-ISSI
Publisher Address: KATHOLIEKE UNIV LEUVEN, FACULTEIT E T E W, DEKENSTRAAT
2, LEUVEN, B-3000, BELGIUM

Cited Reference Count: 9

AZAGRACARO J
SCIENTOMETRICS 66 : 219 2006

 AZAGRACARO JM
DIME U WORKING PAPER : 2006

 CARAYOL N
RES POLICY 33 : 1081 2004

 DELGADO L
ESPANA ESTADOS UNIDO : 2005

 FELLER I
Universities as engines of R&D-based economic growth
RES POLICY 19 : 335 1990

 MARTIN B
SCI INNOVATION : 2003

 METLAY G
Reconsidering Renormalizarion: Stability and Change in 20th-Century Views
on University Patents
SOC STUD SCI 36 : 565 2006

 MOWERY DC
IND CORP CHANGE 10 : 781 2001