Rafols, I; Meyer, M Diversity measures and network centralities as indicators of interdisciplinarity: Case studies in bionanoscience PROC OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTL CONF OF THE ISSI, VOLS I AND II 631-642, 2007

Fri Jan 18 12:11:38 EST 2008

Email address: i.rafols at sussex.ac.uk

Author(s): Rafols, I (Rafols, Ismael); Meyer, M (Meyer, Martin)

Title: Diversity measures and network centralities as indicators of
interdisciplinarity: Case studies in bionanoscience

Editor(s): TorresSalinas, D; Moed, HF

Source: PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR SCIENTOMETRICS AND INFORMETRICS, VOLS I AND II
631-642, 2007

Language: English
Document Type: Article

Conference Title: 11th International Conference of the International-
Society-for-Scientrometrics-and-Informetrics
Conference Date: JUN 25-27, 2007

Conference Location: Madrid, SPAIN

Conference Sponsors: Int Soc Scientrometr & Informetr, CSIC, Minist Educ &
Ciencia, FECYT, Comunidad Madrid, Eugene Garfield Fdn, Thomson Sci,
Elsevier, Journal Informetr, Scopus, Ayuntamiento Madrid, Sci Metrix, Univ
Carlos III Madrid

Author Keywords: interdisciplinary research; nanotechnology; nanoscience;
diversity; indicators; social network analysis

KeyWords Plus: SPECIALTY; SCIENCE

Abstract: Mapping and evaluating interdisciplinarity poses major
challenges, due to its multidimensional character and its inherent
conflict with categorisation methods. Here we develop indicators of
interdisciplinarity as cognitive diversity that are not dependent on
categorisation. To do so, we integrate in a conceptual framework measures
of diversity used in ecology and economics, the measures of similarity
predominant in bibliometrics and recently proposed indicators of
interdisciplinarity based on social network analysis. We carry out two
case studies in bionanoscience which illustrate how these indicators do
capture the diversity of research topics engaged by an author or a
publication, in contrast to category-based indicators that fail to do so.
We suggest that these simple and ready-to-use indicators of cognitive
diversity may be of potential importance in comparative studies of
emergent scientific and technological fields, where claims of novelty and
interdisciplinarity are rife but not always justified.

Addresses: Univ Sussex, SPRU, Brighton, E Sussex England.

Publisher Name: INT SOC SCIENTOMETRICS & INFORMETRICS-ISSI
Publisher Address: KATHOLIEKE UNIV LEUVEN, FACULTEIT E T E W, DEKENSTRAAT
2, LEUVEN, B-3000, BELGIUM

Cited Reference Count: 20

*R PROJ STAT COMP
R PROJ STAT COMP : 2006

 BATAGELJ V
PAJEK PROGRAM FORLAR : 2006

 BORDONS M
HDB QUANTITATIVE SCI : 437 2004

 BOYACK KW
Mapping the backbone of science
SCIENTOMETRICS 64 : 351 2005

 GLASER
COMMUNICATION : 2006

 LEYDESDORFF L
IN PRESS J AM SOC IN : 2007

 MULKAY M
Conceptual displacement and migration in science: a prefatory paper.
SCI STUD 4 : 205 1974

 NOYONS CM
HDB QUANTITATIVE SCI : 237 2004

 PERSSON O
BIBEXCEL TOOL BOX PR : 2006

 PRICE DJD
Networks of scientific papers
SCIENCE 149 : 510 1965

 PURVIS A
Getting the measure of biodiversity
NATURE 405 : 212 2000

 RAFOLS I
How cross-disciplinary is bionanotechnology?  Exploration in the specialty
of molecular motors
SCIENTOMETRICS 70 : 633 2007

 SANZMENENDEZ L
Interdisciplinarity as a multidimensional concept: its measure in three
different research areas
RESEARCH EVALUATION 10 : 47 2001

 SCHMIDT M
P INT WORKSH WEB INF : 2006

 SMALL HG
A co-citation model of a scientific speciality: a longitudinal study of
collagen research
SOC STUD SCI 7 : 139 1977

 STIRLING A
IN PRESS J INTERFACE : 2007