Romero, AG; et al Measuring the contribution of clinical trials to Bibliometric indicators: Citations and Journal Impact Factor (R)(Article, English) PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTL CONF OF THE ISSI VOLS I AND II. 2007. p.300-304

Tue Jan 8 15:56:29 EST 2008

Email address: agr33 at salud.madrid.org

Author(s): Romero, AG (Romero, Antonio Garcia); Cortes, JN (Cortes, Jose
Navarrete); Escudero, C (Escudero, Cristina); Lopez, JAF (Lopez, Juan
Antonio Femandez); Moreno, JAC (Moreno, Juan Antonio Chaichio)

Title: Measuring the contribution of clinical trials to Bibliometric
indicators: Citations and Journal Impact Factor (R)

Editor(s): TorresSalinas, D; Moed, HF

Source: PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR SCIENTOMETRICS AND INFORMETRICS, VOLS I AND II
300-304, 2007

Language: English
Document Type: Article

Conference Title: 11th International Conference of the International-
Society-for-Scientrometrics-and-Informetrics

Conference Date: JUN 25-27, 2007
Conference Location: Madrid, SPAIN

Conference Sponsors: Int Soc Scientrometr & Informetr, CSIC, Minist Educ &
Ciencia, FECYT, Comunidad Madrid, Eugene Garfield Fdn, Thomson Sci,
Elsevier, Journal Informetr, Scopus, Ayuntamiento Madrid, Sci Metrix, Univ
Carlos III Madrid

Author Keywords: clinical trials; citation; impact factor

KeyWords Plus: MEDICAL JOURNALS; PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES

Abstract: Clinical trials play a relevant role in the development of new
drugs. After a clinical trial has been carried out, its results are
usually published in scientific journals. These papers receive a
significant number of citations that can affect the scores for indicators
such as the Journal Impact Factor (R) or the h-index. However, there is a
criticism with this practice especially because around 3/4 of the clinical
trials are funded by industry that can use this channel to promote their
products. In addition, the Frascati Manual (OECD) establishes that
clinical trials must be considered as part of product development and not
research activities. We have established two main research questions: (i)
Are clinical trials cited significantly more than other papers? (ii) To
what extent are Journal Impact Factors modified by citations to clinical
trials? We use the database from Thomson-ISI Web of Science (R) jointly
with Medline to answer these questions. Our preliminary results suggest
the following remarks. Firstly, the clinical trials are significantly more
cited than other papers. Secondly, the Impact Factors are significantly
reduced if we do not take into account the clinical trials. We believe
that this information could be useful for the Research Policy decision
makers.

Addresses: Agencia Lain Entralgo, Madrid, 28013 Spain.

Publisher Name: INT SOC SCIENTOMETRICS & INFORMETRICS-ISSI
Publisher Address: KATHOLIEKE UNIV LEUVEN, FACULTEIT E T E W, DEKENSTRAAT
2, LEUVEN, B-3000, BELGIUM

Cited Reference Count: 9

*DTI BAI DEP HLTH
BIOSC 2015 IMPR NAT : 2003

 *OECD
MEAS SCI TECHN ACT : 2002

 LICHTENBERG FR
MEASURING GAINS MED : 2003

 ROCHON PA
A Study of Manufactured-Supported Trials of Non-Steroidal Anti-inflamatory
Drugs in the Treatment of Arthritis
ARCH INTERN MED 154 : 157 1994

 SMITH R
Medical Journals and Pharmaceutical Companies: Uneasy Bedfellows.
BRIT MED J 326 : 1202 2003

 SMITH R
The Trouble with Medical Journals.
J ROY SOC MED 99 : 115 2006