Franzoni, C; Simpkins, CL; Li, B; Ram, A, Using content analysis to investigate the research paths chosen by scientists over time (Article, English) PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE ISSI, VOLS I AND II. 2007. p.285-294

Tue Jan 8 15:48:59 EST 2008

Email address: chiara.franzoni at polito.it

Author(s): Franzoni, C (Franzoni, Chiara); Simpkins, CL (Simpkins,
Christopher L.); Li, B (Li, Baoli); Ram, A (Ram, Ashwin)

Title: Using content analysis to investigate the research paths chosen by
scientists over time

Editor(s): TorresSalinas, D; Moed, HF

Source: PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR SCIENTOMETRICS AND INFORMETRICS, VOLS I AND II
285-294, 2007

Language: English
Document Type: Article

Conference Title: 11th International Conference of the International-
Society-for-Scientrometrics-and-Informetrics

Conference Date: JUN 25-27, 2007

Conference Location: Madrid, SPAIN

Conference Sponsors: Int Soc Scientrometr & Informetr, CSIC, Minist Educ &
Ciencia, FECYT, Comunidad Madrid, Eugene Garfield Fdn, Thomson Sci,
Elsevier, Journal Informetr, Scopus, Ayuntamiento Madrid, Sci Metrix, Univ
Carlos III Madrid

Author Keywords: content analysis; academic scientists; semantic search;
research trajectories; knowledge development

KeyWords Plus: SCIENCE; PRODUCTIVITY; PERFORMANCE; INDICATORS; STATISTICS
Abstract: We present an application of a clustering technique to a large
original dataset of SCI publications which is capable at disentangling the
different research lines followed by a scientist, their duration over time
and the intensity of effort devoted to each of them. Information are
obtained by means of software-assisted content analysis, based on the co-
occurrence of words in the ful abstract and title of a set of SCI
publications authored by 650 American star-physicists across 17 years. We
estimated that scientists in our dataset over the time span contributed on
average to 16 different research lines lasting on average 3.5 years and
published nearly 5 publication in each single line of research. The
technique is potentially useful for scholars studying science and the
research community, as well as for research agencies, to evaluate if the
scientist is new to the topic and for librarians, to collect timely
biographic information.

Addresses: Politecn Turin, DISPEA, Turin, I-10129 Italy.

Publisher Name: INT SOC SCIENTOMETRICS & INFORMETRICS-ISSI
Publisher Address: KATHOLIEKE UNIV LEUVEN, FACULTEIT E T E W, DEKENSTRAAT
2, LEUVEN, B-3000, BELGIUM

Cited Reference Count: 25

ALLISON PD
Productivity Differences Among Scientists: Evidence for Accumulative
Advantage.
AM SOCIOL REV 39 : 596 1974

 COLE S
Scientific Output and Recognition: A syudy in the Operation of the Reward
System in Science.
AM SOCIOL REV 32 : 377 1967

 COURTIAL JP
KEEPING ABREAST SCI : 1997

 CRANE D
INVISIBLE COLLEGES D : 1972

 FOX MF
Publication Productivity among Scientists: A critical Review.
SOC STUD SCI 13 : 285 1983

 GARFIELD E
CITATION INDEXING IT : 1979

 GARNER CA
ACAD PUBLICATION MAR 17 : 757 1979

 GIBBOND M
NEW PRODUCTION KNOWL : 1994

 GODIN B
The emergence of S&T indicators: why did governments supplement statistics
with indicators
RES POLICY 32 : 679 2003

 HACKETT EJ
Tokamaks and turbulence: research ensembles, policy and technoscientific
work
RES POLICY 33 : 747 2004

 HACKETT EJ
Essential tensions: Identity, control, and risk in research
SOCIAL STUDIES OF SCIENCE 35 : 787 2005

 HAGSTROM WO
SCI COMMUNITY : 1965

 HICKS D
DOES U IND COLLABORA : 74 1999

 KLAVANS R
GEN LARGE SCALE MAPS : 2005

 LEYDESDORFF L
Indicators of structural change in the dynamics of science: Entropy
statistics of the SCI Journal Citation Reports.
SCIENTOMETRICS 53 : 131 2002

 MANNING C
FDN STAT NATURAL LAN : 1999

 MERTON RK
The Matthew Effect in Science
SCIENCE 159 : 56 1968

 MOED HF
The use of bibliometric data for the measurement of university research
performance.
RES POLICY 14 : 131 1985

 NARIN F
Bibliometric performance measures
SCIENTOMETRICS 36 : 293 1996

 PERITZ BC
On the Objectives of Citation Analysis: Problems of Theory and Method.
J AM SOC INFORM SCI 43 : 448 1992

 PORTER MF
An algorithm for suffix stripping
PROGRAM 14 : 130 1980