Castillo, C (Castillo, Carlos); Donato, D (Donato, Debora); Gionis, A (Gionis, Aristides) Estimating number of citations using author reputation STRING PROCESSING AND INFORMATION RETRIEVAL, PROCEEDINGS 107-117, 2007

Thu Feb 21 14:20:50 EST 2008

Email address: chato at chato.cl (in first email to author, please
include 'baldor' in the subject line)

Author(s): Castillo, C (Castillo, Carlos); Donato, D (Donato, Debora);
Gionis, A (Gionis, Aristides)

Title: Estimating number of citations using author reputation

Editor(s): Ziviani, N; BaezaYates, R

Source: STRING PROCESSING AND INFORMATION RETRIEVAL, PROCEEDINGS 107-117,
2007

Book Series: LECTURE NOTES IN COMPUTER SCIENCE, 4726

Language: English

Document Type: Article

Conference Title: 14th International Symposium on String Processing and
Information Retrieval

Conference Date: OCT 29-31, 2007

Conference Location: Santiago, CHILE

Conference Sponsors: Univ Chile, Dept Comp Sci, Web Res, Millwnnium Nucl
Ctr, Fed Univ Minas Gerais, Dept Comp Sci, Yahoo, Res Latin Amer

Abstract: We study the problem of predicting the popularity of items in a
dynamic environment in which authors post continuously new items and
provide feedback on existing items. This problem can be applied to predict
popularity of blog posts, rank photographs in a photo-sharing system, or
predict the citations of a scientific article using author information and
monitoring the items of interest for a short period of time after their
creation. As a case study, we show how to estimate the number of citations
for an academic paper using information about past articles written by the
same author(s) of the paper. If we use only the citation information over
a short period of time, we obtain a predicted value that has a correlation
of r = 0.57 with the actual value. This is our baseline prediction. Our
best-performing system can improve that prediction by adding features
extracted from the past publishing history of its authors, increasing the
correlation between the actual and the predicted values to r = 0.81.

Addresses: Yahoo Res Barcelona, Barcelona, Catalunya 08003 Spain.

Reprint Address: Castillo, C, Yahoo Res Barcelona, C Ocata 1, Barcelona,
Catalunya 08003 Spain.

Publisher Name: SPRINGER-VERLAG BERLIN

Publisher Address: HEIDELBERGER PLATZ 3, D-14197 BERLIN, GERMANY

ISSN: 0302-9743

Cited Reference Count: 16

ADAR E
WWE 2004 NEW YORK US : 2004

BAEZAYATES R
LNCS 2476 : 2002

BURIOL L
WI 2006 HONG KONG : 45 2006

CHO J
SIGMOD 2005 : 551 2005

FEITELSON DG
Predictive ranking of computer scientists using CiteSeer data
J DOC 60 : 44 2004

FUJIMURA K
The EigenRumor algorithm for calculating contributions in cyberspace
communities
TRUSTING AGENTS FOR TRUSTING ELECTRONIC SOCIETIES: THEORY AND APPLICATIONS
IN HCI AND E-COMMERCE 3577 : 59 2005

GEHRKE J
SIGKDD EXPLOR NEWSL 5 : 149 2003

KLEINBERG JM
Authoritative sources in a hyperlinked environment
J ACM 46 : 604 1999

KUMAR R
Structure and evolution of blogspaceCOMMUN ACM 47 : 35 2004

LESKOVEC J
KDD 05 : 177 2005

LIBENNOWELL D
CIKM 03 P 12 INT C I : 556 2003

MEI Q
WWW 2006 : 533 2006

PAGE L
PAGERANK CITATION RA : 1998

POPESCUL A
IJCAI 2003 : 2003

SALGANIK MJ
Experimental study of inequality and unpredictability in an artificial
cultural market
SCIENCE 311 : 854 2006

WITTEN IH
DATA MINING PRACTICA : 1999