Suresh, V; Raghupathy, N; Shekar, B (Shekar, B.); Madhavan, CEV (Madhavan, C. E. Veni) Discovering mentorship information from author collaboration networks DISCOVERY SCIENCE, PROCEEDINGS 197-208, 2007

Wed Feb 20 12:12:38 EST 2008

Email Address: vsuresh at csa.iisc.ernet.in

Author(s): Suresh, V (Suresh, V.); Raghupathy, N (Raghupathy, Narayanan);
Shekar, B (Shekar, B.); Madhavan, CEV (Madhavan, C. E. Veni)

Title: Discovering mentorship information from author collaboration
networks

Editor(s): Corruble, V; Takeda, M; Suzuki, E

Source: DISCOVERY SCIENCE, PROCEEDINGS 197-208, 2007

Book Series: LECTURE NOTES IN ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, 4755

Language: English

Document Type: Article

Conference Title: 10th International Conference on Discovery Science

Conference Date: OCT 01-04, 2007

Conference Location: Sendai, JAPAN

Conference Sponsors: AF Off Sci Res, Asian Off Aerosp Res & Dev, Grad Sch
Informat Sci

KeyWords Plus: SCIENTIFIC COLLABORATION; INDEX

Abstract: Researchers are assessed from a researcher-centric perspective -
by quantifying a researcher's contribution to the field. Citation and
publication counts are some typical examples. We propose a student-centric
measure to assess researchers on their mentoring abilities. Our approach
quantifies benefits bestowed by researchers upon their students by
characterizing the publication dynamics of research advisor-student
interactions in author collaboration networks. We show that our measures
could help aspiring students identify research advisors with proven
mentoring skills. Our measures also help in stratification of researchers
with similar ranks based on typical indices like publication and citation
counts while being independent of their direct influences.

Addresses: Indian Inst Sci, Dept Comp Sci & Automat, Bangalore, Karnataka
560012 India.

Reprint Address: Suresh, V, Indian Inst Sci, Dept Comp Sci & Automat,
Bangalore, Karnataka 560012 India.

Cited Reference Count: 13

Publisher Name: SPRINGER-VERLAG BERLIN

Publisher Address: HEIDELBERGER PLATZ 3, D-14197 BERLIN, GERMANY

ISSN: 0302-9743

ISBN: 978-3-540-75487-9

BALL P
Index aims for fair ranking of scientists
NATURE 436 : 900 2005

BOLLEN J
SCIENTOMETRICS 69 : 2006

BORNER K
The simultaneous evolution of author and paper networks
PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF
AMERICA 101 : 5266 2004

DEREK JSP
SCIENCE 149 : 510 1965

GARFIELD E
Citation Analysis as a Tool in Journal Evaluation - Journals Can Be Ranked
by Frequency And Impact of Citations For Science Policy Studies
SCIENCE 178 : 471 1972

HIRSCH JE
An index to quantify an individual's scientific research output
P NATL ACAD SCI USA 102 : 16569 2005

LEE A
Nature's guide for mentors
NATURE 447 : 791 2007

LIU XM
Co-authorship networks in the digital library research community
INFORM PROCESS MANAG 41 : 1462 2005

MOHAN BK
Searching association networks for nurturers
COMPUTER 38 : 54 2005

NASCIMENTO MA
Analysis of SIGMOD's co-authorship graph
SIGMOD RECORD 32 : 8 2003

NEWMAN MEJ
Coauthorship networks and patterns of scientific collaboration
PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF
AMERICA 101 : 5200 2004

NEWMAN MEJ
The structure of scientific collaboration networks
P NATL ACAD SCI USA 98 : 404 2001

PAGE L
PAGERANK CITATION RA : 1998