Davies, JB; Kocher, MG; Sutter, M Economics research in Canada: a long-run assessment of journal publications CANADIAN JOURNAL OF ECONOMICS-REVUE CANADIENNE D ECONOMIQUE, 41 (1): 22-45 FEB 2008

Tue Feb 12 09:25:22 EST 2008

E-mail Address: jdavies at uwo.ca

Author(s): Davies, JB (Davies, James B.); Kocher, MG (Kocher, Martin G.);
Sutter, M (Sutter, Matthias)

Title: Economics research in Canada: a long-run assessment of journal
publications

Source: CANADIAN JOURNAL OF ECONOMICS-REVUE CANADIENNE D ECONOMIQUE, 41
(1): 22-45 FEB 2008

Language: English
Document Type: Article

Keywords Plus: CORE JOURNALS; DEPARTMENTS; RANKINGS; US

Abstract: We examine the publications of authors affiliated with an
economics research institution in Canada in (1) the Top-10 journals in
economics according to journals' impact factors, and (2) the Canadian
Journal of Economics. We consider all publications in the even years from
1980 to 2000. Canadian economists contributed about 5% of publications in
the Top-10 journals and about 55% of publications in the Canadian Journal
of Economics over this period. We identify the most active research
centres and identify trends in their relative outputs over time. Those
research centres successful in publishing in the Top-10 journals are found
to also dominate the Canadian Journal of Economics. Additionally, we check
the robustness of our findings with respect to journal selection, and we
present data on authors' PhD origin, thereby indicating output and its
concentration in graduate education.

Addresses: Univ Western Ontario, Dept Econ, London, ON N6A 3K7, Canada;
Univ Munich, Dept Econ, D-80539 Munich, Germany; Innsbruck Univ, Dept
Econ, A-6020 Innsbruck, Austria; Univ Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden

Reprint Address: Davies, JB, Univ Western Ontario, Dept Econ, London, ON
N6A 3K7, Canada.

Times Cited: 0

Publisher: BLACKWELL PUBLISHING

Publisher Address: 9600 GARSINGTON RD, OXFORD OX4 2ZG, OXON, ENGLAND

ISSN: 0008-4085

Cited Reference Count: 25

CHANT J
WE PAY PROFESSORS WH : 2005

COMBES PP
J EUROPEAN EC ASS 1 : 1250 2003

CONROY ME
The productivity of economics departments in the US: Publications in the
Core journals
JOURNAL OF ECONOMIC LITERATURE 33 : 1966 1995

COUPE T
J EUROPEAN EC ASS 1 : 1309 2003

DUSANSKY R
Rankings of US economics departments
JOURNAL OF ECONOMIC PERSPECTIVES 12 : 157 1998

FEINBERG RM
Ranking economics departments
JOURNAL OF ECONOMIC PERSPECTIVES 12 : 231 1998

FRANKENA M
CANADIAN CONTRIBUTIONS TO ECONOMICS JOURNALS, 1968-1972
CANADIAN JOURNAL OF ECONOMICS-REVUE CANADIENNE D ECONOMIQUE 6 : 121 1973

FRANKENA M
J EUROPEAN EC ASS 1 : 1346 2003

GARFIELD E
CITATION ANALYSIS AS A TOOL IN JOURNAL EVALUATION - JOURNALS CAN BE RANKED
BY FREQUENCY AND IMPACT OF CITATIONS FOR SCIENCE POLICY STUDIES
SCIENCE 178 : 471 1972

GRILICHES Z
Ranking economics departments
JOURNAL OF ECONOMIC PERSPECTIVES 12 : 233 1998

HODGSON G
ECON J 109 : 165 1999

HOSIOS AJ
Unions without rents: the curious economics of faculty unions
CANADIAN JOURNAL OF ECONOMICS-REVUE CANADIENNE D ECONOMIQUE 37 : 28 2004

KALAITZIDAKIS P
European economics: An analysis based on publications in the core journals
EUROPEAN ECONOMIC REVIEW 43 : 1150 1999

KIRMAN A
EC RES EUROPE : 1996

KIRMAN A
ECONOMIC RESEARCH IN EUROPE
EUROPEAN ECONOMIC REVIEW 38 : 505 1994

KOCHER M
ECON J 111 : 405 2001

KOCHER MG
SOCIO EC PLANNING SC 40 : 314 2006

KODRZYCKI YK
CONTRIBUTIONS EC ANA 5 : 2006

LUBRANO M
J EUROPEAN EC ASS 1 : 1367 2003

LUCAS RF
CANADIAN J EC 28 : 945 1995

MOORE WJ
RELATIVE QUALITY OF ECONOMICS JOURNALS - SUGGESTED RATING SYSTEM
WESTERN ECONOMIC JOURNAL 10 : 156 1972

PALMER J
Q REV ECON BUS 28 : 88 1988

SCOTT LC
Trends in rankings of economics departments in the US: An update
ECONOMIC INQUIRY 34 : 378 1996

SUTTER M
Tools for evaluating research output - Are citation-based rankings of
economics journals stable?
EVALUATION REVIEW 25 : 555 2001

THURSBY JG
What do we say about ourselves and what does it mean? Yet another look at
economics department research
JOURNAL OF ECONOMIC LITERATURE 38 : 383 2000