How to Compare IRs and CRs

David E. Wojick dwojick at HUGHES.NET
Sun Feb 10 13:38:53 EST 2008

Steve, I do not regard establishing and maintaining IR's in tens of thouands of institutions around the world, and getting millions of authors to archive their writings each year, as simple or costing "next to nothing." (Clearly you do so we have little basis upon which to discuss policy issues.) By coincidence I come from a regulatory background, where I specialized in analyzing the human cost of information requirements. In the US we have what is called a "burden budget" for federal regulations, which I helped develop. Your version of OA looks to be quite burdensome indeed.
See http://www.bydesign.com/powervision/Mathematics_Philosophy_Science/ENR_cover_story.doc

In any case, my delivery solution does not require more metadata. I tend to think of metadata as obsolete as a search tool, and burdensome, preferring full text (except for Sigmetrics-like meta analysis and visualization of course, where metadata can be very useful). My approach is exemplified by http://www.science.gov and the new http://worldwidescience.org/ , both of which already probably exceed plain Google in science content. (Google Scholar is largely pay-per-paper, not OA.)

Our approach involves external federation of existing collections, which imposes no new burden on the institution, unlike Google's sitemap protocol. We are starting with the biggest collections first, then working our way down. If I have to find, federate and then track every college and institute IR in the world it will not be easy, hence my concern.

You also seem to be claiming that no further work is needed to improve the findability of raw access scientific content, until your (utopian?) vision of universal OA is completed. Needless to say I do not agree. There is much to be done, even if OA fails to materialize. One of our working principles is not to wait for visions to come true.

David Wojick

"David E. Wojick, PhD" <WojickD at osti.gov>
Senior Consultant for Innovation
Office of Scientific and Technical Information
US Department of Energy
http://www.osti.gov/innovation/