Rosenbaum, JL "High-profile journals not worth the trouble " SCIENCE 321 (5892). AUG 22 2008. p.1039

Eugene Garfield eugene.garfield at THOMSONREUTERS.COM
Thu Aug 28 13:52:13 EDT 2008

TITLE:          High-profile journals not worth the trouble (Letter,

                English)

AUTHOR:         Rosenbaum, JL

SOURCE:         SCIENCE 321 (5892). AUG 22 2008. p.1039 AMER ASSOC

                ADVANCEMENT SCIENCE, WASHINGTON

AUTHOR ADDRESS: JL Rosenbaum, Yale Univ, Dept Mol Cellular & Dev Biol,
New

                Haven, CT 06520 USA

Science 22 August 2008:
Vol. 321. no. 5892, p. 1039
DOI: 10.1126/science.321.5892.1039b

Letters

High-Profile Journals Not Worth the Trouble

Raff, Johnson, and Walter ("Painful publishing," Letters, 4 July, p. 36
<http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/321/5885/36a> ) make some
excellent points about how peer reviewers for journals should conduct
themselves. There is a fine line between being too demanding by
requiring a lot of extra work and making sure a paper with important
results gets out to the scientific public in a timely way.

In my laboratory, there is no pressure to publish in journals like
Science, Nature, or Cell because we simply do not send our manuscripts
to them anymore, no matter how important or high-impact we think the
work may be. We have found that there is an excellent group of other,
first-line journals of cell biology for which we do not need to subject
ourselves to the type of competition required for publication in these
three journals.

When I have served on peer-review panels, I have fought against the
common practice of relating grant awards to publication in high-profile
journals such as Science, Nature, and Cell. It is the impact and
importance of the work that matters (thereby requiring the peer
reviewers to read the applicant's papers quite thoroughly), not where
the work is published.

Joel L. Rosenbaum
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology
Yale University
New Haven, CT 06520-8103, USA

When responding, please attach my original message
Eugene Garfield, PhD. email:  garfield at codex.cis.upenn.edu
home page: www.eugenegarfield.org
Tel: 215-243-2205 Fax 215-387-1266
President, The Scientist LLC. www.the-scientist.com
400 Market St., Suite 1250 Phila. PA 19106-

Chairman Emeritus, ISI www.isinet.com
3501 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-3302
Past President, American Society for Information Science and Technology
(ASIS&T) www.asis.org