Kuhn, M (Kuhn, Michael); Wattenhofer, R (Wattenhofer, Roger) The layered world of scientific conferences PROGRESS IN WWW RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT, PROCEEDINGS 81-92, 2008

Wed Aug 27 16:45:38 EDT 2008

Email Address: kuhnmi at tik.ee.ethz.ch

Author(s): Kuhn, M (Kuhn, Michael); Wattenhofer, R (Wattenhofer, Roger)

Title: The layered world of scientific conferences

Editor(s): Zhang, Y; Yu, G; Bertino, E; Xu, G

Source: PROGRESS IN WWW RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT, PROCEEDINGS 81-92, 2008

Book Series: LECTURE NOTES IN COMPUTER SCIENCE, 4976

Language: English

Document Type: Article

Conference Title: 10th Asia-Pacific Web Conference

Conference Date: APR 26-28, 2008

Conference Location: Shenyang, PEOPLES R CHINA

Conference Sponsors: APWeb Streering Comm, WISE Soc

KeyWords Plus: CITATION ANALYSIS; SOCIAL NETWORKS; FREQUENCY; SEARCH;
IMPACT

Abstract: Recent models have introduced the notion of dimensions and
hierarchies in social networks. These models motivate the mining of small
world graphs under a new perspective. We exemplary base our work on a
conference graph, which is constructed from the DBLP publication records.
We show that this graph indeed exhibits a layered structure as the models
suggest. We then introduce a subtraction approach that allows to segregate
layers. Using this technique we separate the conference graph into a
thematic and a quality layer. As concrete applications of the discussed
methods we present a novel rating method as well as a conference search
tool that bases on our graph and its layer separation.

Addresses: Swiss Fed Inst Technol, Comp Engn & Networks Lab, Zurich,
Switzerland.

Reprint Address: Kuhn, M, Swiss Fed Inst Technol, Comp Engn & Networks
Lab, Zurich, Switzerland.

Cited Reference Count: 20

Publisher Name: SPRINGER-VERLAG BERLIN

Publisher Address: HEIDELBERGER PLATZ 3, D-14197 BERLIN, GERMANY

ISSN: 0302-9743

ISBN: 978-3-540-78848-5

29-char Source Abbrev.: LECT NOTE COMPUT SCI

Source Item Page Count: 12

Subject Category: Computer Science, Theory & Methods

ISI Document Delivery No.: BHP82

BARABASI AL
Evolution of the social network of scientific collaborations
PHYSICA A 311 : 590 2002

DODDS PS
An experimental study of search in global social networks
SCIENCE 301 : 827 2003

ELMACIOGLU E
On six degrees of separation in DBLP-DB and more
SIGMOD RECORD 34 : 33 2005

FERNANDEZ M
Probabilistic score normalization for rank aggregation
ADVANCES IN INFORMATION RETRIEVAL 3936 : 553 2006

GARFIELD E
CITATION ANALYSIS AS A TOOL IN JOURNAL EVALUATION - JOURNALS CAN BE RANKED
BY FREQUENCY AND IMPACT OF CITATIONS FOR SCIENCE POLICY STUDIES
SCIENCE 178 : 471 1972

GOUSSEVSKAIA O
IEEE WIC ACM INT C W : 2007

KILLWORTH PD
REVERSAL SMALL-WORLD EXPERIMENT
SOC NETWORKS 1 : 159 1978

KLEINBERG J
ADV NEURAL INFORM PR 14 : 2002

LEE B
CHI 2005 : 1969 2005

LINDE A
On the pitfalls of journal ranking by impact factor (R)
EUR J ORAL SCI 106 : 525 1998

LIU XM
Co-authorship networks in the digital library research community
INFORM PROCESS MANAG 41 : 1462 2005

MACROBERTS MH
PROBLEMS OF CITATION ANALYSIS - A CRITICAL-REVIEW
J AM SOC INFORM SCI 40 : 342 1989

NASCIMENTO MA
Analysis of SIGMOD's co-authorship graph
SIGMOD RECORD 32 : 8 2003

NEWMAN MEJ
PHYS REV 2 32 : 2001

ROBERTSON S
Understanding inverse document frequency: on theoretical arguments for IDF
J DOC 60 : 503 2004

SALTON G
EXTENDED BOOLEAN INFORMATION-RETRIEVAL
COMMUN ACM 26 : 1022 1983