Citation analysis of author-choice OA journals

Phil Davis pmd8 at CORNELL.EDU
Tue Aug 26 16:07:46 EDT 2008

Stevan,

Because of the sheer number of articles published by PNAS, tracking the
performance of each article was considered too onerous.  As a result, I
tracked the first and last 6-month cohort of articles (June-Dec 2004;
and June-Dec 2006).  By choosing the first and last cohort, I could
estimate a temporal trend in the data.  Please remember that PNAS was
only one of the 11 journals analyzed in this study, and that Gunter
Eysenbach’s study (PLoS Biology, 2006) analyzed only a 6-month cohort in
one journal (PNAS, June-Dec, 2006).  Granted, a full dataset from PNAS
would have been ideal, and I encourage you to gather and share the
intervening years if you feel that the missing data points would change
significantly the results of this study.  My sense is that they won’t,
but will challenge you to prove me wrong.

--
Philip M. Davis
PhD Student
email: pmd8 at cornell.edu