Wu, XF (Wu, Xiu-fang); Fu, Q (Fu, Qiang); Rousseau, R (Rousseau, Ronald) On indexing in the Web of Science and predicting journal impact factor JOURNAL OF ZHEJIANG UNIVERSITY-SCIENCE B, 9 (7): 582-590 JUL 2008

Tue Aug 12 11:49:45 EDT 2008

E-mail Address: jzus at zju.edu.cn; fuqiang at zju.edu.cn;
ronald.rousseau at khbo.be

Author(s): Wu, XF (Wu, Xiu-fang); Fu, Q (Fu, Qiang); Rousseau, R
(Rousseau, Ronald)

Title: On indexing in the Web of Science and predicting journal impact
factor

Source: JOURNAL OF ZHEJIANG UNIVERSITY-SCIENCE B, 9 (7): 582-590 JUL 2008

Language: English

Document Type: Editorial Material

Author Keywords: WoS (Web of Science); JCR (Journal Citation Reports);
citation analysis; predicted impact factors

Abstract: We discuss what document types account for the calculation of
the journal impact factor (JIF) as published in the Journal Citation
Reports (JCR). Based on a brief review of articles discussing how to
predict JIFs and taking data differences between the Web of Science (WoS)
and the JCR into account, we make our own predictions. Using data by cited-
reference searching for Thomson Scientific's WoS, we predict 2007 impact
factors (IFs) for several journals, such as Nature, Science, Learned
Publishing and some Library and Information Sciences journals. Based on
our colleagues' experiences we expect our predictions to be lower bounds
for the official journal impact factors. We explain why it is useful to
derive one's own journal impact factor.

Addresses: Zhejiang Univ Press, Journals Zhejiang Univ SCIENCE A&B,
Hangzhou 310027, Peoples R China; Zhejiang Univ Press, Hangzhou 310028,
Peoples R China; Katholieke Univ Leuven, KHBO Assoc, B-8400 Oostende,
Belgium; Katholieke Univ Leuven, Steupunt O&O Indicatoren, B-3000 Louvain,
Belgium

Reprint Address: Wu, XF, Zhejiang Univ Press, Journals Zhejiang Univ

ronald.rousseau at khbo.be

Cited Reference Count: 37

Times Cited: 0

Publisher: ZHEJIANG UNIV

Publisher Address: EDITORIAL BOARD, 20 YUGU RD, HANGZHOU, 310027, PEOPLES
R CHINA

ISSN: 1673-1581

DOI: 10.1631/jzus.B0840001

29-char Source Abbrev.: J ZHEJIANG UNIV-SCI B

ISO Source Abbrev.: J. Zhejiang Univ.-SCI. B

Source Item Page Count: 9

Subject Category: Biochemistry & Molecular Biology; Biotechnology &
Applied Microbiology

ISI Document Delivery No.: 328QY

J CITATION REPORTS 3 : 2004

J CITATION REPORTS 4 : 2006

J CITATION REPORTS W : 2008

NATURE 435 : 1003 2005

BARILAN J
Informetrics at the beginning of the 21st century - A review
JOURNAL OF INFORMETRICS 2 : 1 DOI 10.1016/j.joi.2007.11.001 2008

BENITEZBRIBIESCA L
The ups and downs of the impact factor: The case of Archives of Medical
Research
ARCHIVES OF MEDICAL RESEARCH 33 : 91 2002

BRUMBACK RA
Worshiping false idols: The impact factor dilemma
JOURNAL OF CHILD NEUROLOGY 23 : 365 DOI 10.1177/0883073808315170 2008

CRAIG ID
The Journal of Sexual Medicine - Impact factor predictions and analysis
JOURNAL OF SEXUAL MEDICINE 4 : 855 DOI 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2007.00515.x
2007

EGGHE L
J INFORM : 2008

FRANDSEN TF
Article impact calculated over arbitrary periods
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
56 : 58 DOI 10.1002/asi.20100 2005

FRANDSEN TF
On the ratio of citable versus non-citable items in economics journals
SCIENTOMETRICS 74 : 439 DOI 10.1007/s11192-007-1697-9 2008

GARFIELD E
Journal impact factor: a brief review
CANADIAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION JOURNAL 161 : 979 1999

GARFIELD E
COUNC SCI ED ANN M M : 2000

GARFIELD E
CURRENT CONTENT 0103 : 1994

GARFIELD E
Recollections of Irving H. Sher 1924-1996: Polymath/information scientist
extraordinaire
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
52 : 1197 2001

GARFIELD E
The history and meaning of the journal impact factor
JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION 295 : 90 2006

GARFIELD E
CITATION INDEXES FOR SCIENCE - NEW DIMENSION IN DOCUMENTATION THROUGH
ASSOCIATION OF IDEAS
SCIENCE 122 : 108 1955

GOLUBIC R
Calculating impact factor: How bibliographical classification of journal
items affects the impact factor of large and small journals
SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING ETHICS 14 : 41 DOI 10.1007/s11948-007-9044-3 2008

INGWERSEN P
The publication-citation matrix and its derived quantities
CHINESE SCIENCE BULLETIN 46 : 524 2001

JACSO P
A deficiency in the algorithm for calculating the impact factor of
scholarly journals: The journal impact factor
CORTEX 37 : 590 2001

JENNINGS C
NAT NEUROSCI 1 : 641 1998

KETCHAM CM
Predicting impact factor one year in advance
LABORATORY INVESTIGATION 87 : 520 DOI 10.1038/labinvest.3700554 2007

KURMIS AP
Current concepts review - Understanding the limitations of the journal
impact factor
JOURNAL OF BONE AND JOINT SURGERY-AMERICAN VOLUME 85 : 2449 2003

MOED HF
CITATION ANAL RES EV : 2005

MOED HF
Impact factors can mislead
NATURE 381 : 186 1996

MORRIS S
Mapping the journal publishing landscape: how much do we know.?
LEARNED PUBLISHING 20 : 299 DOI 10.1087/095315107X239654 2007

PENDLEBURY DA
J CELL BIOL 179 : 1091 DOI 10.1083/JCB.200711140 2007

ROSSNER M
Show me the data
JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL MEDICINE 204 : 3052 2007

ROUSSEAU P
SCIENTOMETRICS 47 : 379 DOI 10.1023/A:1005651429368 2000

ROUSSEAU R
Journal evaluation: Technical and practical issues
LIBRARY TRENDS 50 : 418 2002

SEGLEN PO
CAUSAL RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN ARTICLE CITEDNESS AND JOURNAL IMPACT
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE 45 : 1 1994

SEN BK
A METHOD FOR DETERMINING THE IMPACT FACTOR OF A NON-SCI JOURNAL
JOURNAL OF DOCUMENTATION 45 : 139 1989

SPAVENTI J
INFORMATOLOGIA YUGOS 11 : 11 1979

STEGMANN J
Building a list of journals with constructed impact factors
JOURNAL OF DOCUMENTATION 55 : 310 1999

STEGMANN J
How to evaluate journal impact factors
NATURE 390 : 550 1997

TESTA J
IMPACT OPEN ACCESS J : 2004

ZHANG YH
An international peer-review system for a Chinese scientific journal
LEARNED PUBLISHING 16 : 91 2003