Dietrich, JP Disentangling visibility and self-promotion bias in the arXiv : astro-ph positional citation effect PUBLICATIONS OF THE ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF THE PACIFIC, 120 (869): 801-804 JUL 2008

Tue Aug 5 12:15:27 EDT 2008

E-mail Address: jdietric at eso.org

Author(s): Dietrich, JP (Dietrich, J. P.)

Title: Disentangling visibility and self-promotion bias in the arXiv :
astro-ph positional citation effect

Source: PUBLICATIONS OF THE ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF THE PACIFIC, 120
(869): 801-804 JUL 2008

Language: English

Document Type: Article

Abstract: We established in an earlier study that articles listed at or
near the top of the daily arXiv:astro-ph mailings receive on average
significantly more citations than articles further down the list. In our
earlier work we were not able to decide whether this positional citation
effect was due to author self-promotion of intrinsically more citable
papers or whether papers are cited more often simply because they are at
the top of the astro-ph listing. Using new data we can now disentangle
both effects. Based on their submission times we separate articles into a
selfpromoted sample and a sample of articles that achieved a high rank on
astro-ph by chance and compare their citation distributions with those of
articles in lower astro-ph positions. We find that the positional citation
effect is a superposition of self-promotion and visibility bias.

Addresses: ESO, D-85748 Garching B Munchen, Germany

Reprint Address: Dietrich, JP, ESO, Karl Schwarzschild Str 2, D-85748
Garching B Munchen, Germany.

E-mail Address: jdietric at eso.org

Cited Reference Count: 5

Times Cited: 0

Publisher: UNIV CHICAGO PRESS

Publisher Address: 1427 E 60TH ST, CHICAGO, IL 60637-2954 USA

ISSN: 0004-6280

29-char Source Abbrev.: PUBL ASTRON SOC PAC

ISO Source Abbrev.: Publ. Astron. Soc. Pac.

Source Item Page Count: 4

Subject Category: Astronomy & Astrophysics

ISI Document Delivery No.: 324MJ

DIETRICH JP
The importance of being first: Position dependent citation rates on
arXiv : astro-ph
PUBLICATIONS OF THE ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF THE PACIFIC 120 : 224 2008

HABING H
EUROPEAN REV 15 : 3 2007

KURTZ MJ
The effect of use and access on citations
INFORMATION PROCESSING & MANAGEMENT 41 : 1395 DOI
10.1016/j.ipm.2005.03.010 2005

MAGUE JP
ARXIVSORTER DOCUMENT : 2007

REDNER S
How popular is your paper? An empirical study of the citation distribution
EUROPEAN PHYSICAL JOURNAL B 4 : 131 1998