Sidiropoulos, A; Manolopoulos, Y Generalized comparison of graph-based ranking algorithms for publications and authors JOURNAL OF SYSTEMS AND SOFTWARE, 79 (12): 1679-1700 DEC 2006

Mon Apr 28 11:18:26 EDT 2008

E-mail Address: asidirop at delab.csd.auth.gr; manolopo at delab.csd.auth.gr

Author(s): Sidiropoulos, A (Sidiropoulos, Antonis); Manolopoulos, Y
(Manolopoulos, Yannis)

Title: Generalized comparison of graph-based ranking algorithms for
publications and authors

Source: JOURNAL OF SYSTEMS AND SOFTWARE, 79 (12): 1679-1700 DEC 2006

Language: English

Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: SCEAS system; ranking algorithms; citation analysis;
citation graphs
Abstract: Citation analysis helps in evaluating the impact of scientific
collections (journals and conferences), publications and scholar authors.
In this paper we examine known algorithms that are currently used for Link
Analysis Ranking, and present their weaknesses over specific examples. We
also introduce new alternative methods specifically designed for citation
graphs. We use the SCEAS system as a base platform to introduce these new
methods and perform a generalized comparison of all methods. We also
introduce an aggregate function for the generation of author ranking based
on publication ranking. Finally, we try to evaluate the rank results based
on the prizes of 'VLDB 10 Year Award', 'SIGMOD Test of Time Award'
and 'SIGMOD E. F. Codd Innovations A ward'. (C) 2006 Elsevier Inc. All
rights reserved.

Addresses: Aristotle Univ Thessaloniki, Data Engn Lab, Dept Informat,
Thessaloniki 54124, Greece

Reprint Address: Sidiropoulos, A, Aristotle Univ Thessaloniki, Data Engn
Lab, Dept Informat, Thessaloniki 54124, Greece.

E-mail Address: asidirop at delab.csd.auth.gr; manolopo at delab.csd.auth.gr

Cited Reference Count: 17

Times Cited: 0

Publisher: ELSEVIER SCIENCE INC

Publisher Address: 360 PARK AVE SOUTH, NEW YORK, NY 10010-1710 USA

ISSN: 0164-1212

29-char Source Abbrev.: J SYST SOFTWARE

ISO Source Abbrev.: J. Syst. Softw.

Source Item Page Count: 22

Subject Category: Computer Science, Software Engineering; Computer
Science, Theory & Methods

ISI Document Delivery No.: 115UX

BORODIN A
ACM T INTERNET TECHN 5 : 231 2005

BRIN S
P 7 INT WORLD WID WE : 107 1998

CHAKRABRTI S
MINING WEB DISCOVERI : 205 2003

DIACONIS P
SPEARMANS FOOTRULE AS A MEASURE OF DISARRAY
JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL STATISTICAL SOCIETY SERIES B-METHODOLOGICAL 39 : 262
1977

GARFIELD E
ESSAYS INFORMATION S 1 : 527 1972

GARFIELD E
IMPACT FACTOR : 1994

GARFIELD E
SCI CITATION INDEX : 2005

KAMVAR SD
CONDITION NUMBER PAG : 2003

KENDALL M
RANK CORRELATION MET : 1970

KLEIJNEN JPC
Measuring the quality of publications: new methodology and case study
INFORMATION PROCESSING & MANAGEMENT 36 : 551 2000

KLEINBERG JM
Authoritative sources in a hyperlinked environment
JOURNAL OF THE ACM 46 : 604 1999

KLEINBERG JM
P 5 INT C COMP COMB : 1 1999

LEMPEL R
SALSA: The stochastic approach for link-structure analysis
ACM TRANSACTIONS ON INFORMATION SYSTEMS 19 : 131 2001

RAINER RK
Examining differences across journal rankings
COMMUNICATIONS OF THE ACM 48 : 91 2005

SIDIROPOULOS A
GEN COMP RANKING ALG : 2005

SIDIROPOULOS A
A new perspective to automatically rank scientific conferences using
digital libraries
INFORMATION PROCESSING & MANAGEMENT 41 : 289 DOI 10.1016/j.ipm.2003.09.002
2005

SIDIROPOULOS A
A citation-based system to assist prize awarding
SIGMOD RECORD 34 : 54 2005