Comparison of SCImago journal rank indicator with journal impact factor

Kevin Boyack kboyack at MAPOFSCIENCE.COM
Wed Apr 23 15:54:41 EDT 2008

Dear Loet,

Page-rank and many other algorithms are available in Indiana's (free)
Network Workbench (http://nwb.slis.indiana.edu/). DrL (a version of Sandia's
VxOrd) has also been implemented in NWB.

Best wishes,
Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
[mailto:SIGMETRICS at listserv.utk.edu] On Behalf Of Loet Leydesdorff
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 1:07 PM
To: SIGMETRICS at listserv.utk.edu
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] Comparison of SCImago journal rank indicator with
journal impact factor

Dear Johan,

I know your paper.
Can you perhaps provide me with the full list of the pageranks for 2006 or
make it available on the Internet? Scimago does a very nice job in bringing
their data online as an excel file.

We could perhaps combine forces? I would expect the page-ranking algorithm
to end-up more in the middle like the h-index because it pays attention to
citations/publications, but it also might be sensitive to size-effects. You
may be able to specify a more precise expectation.

Is the page-rank algorithm available in one of the (non-commercial) programs
of social network analysis?

Best wishes,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
loet at leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/