Aaltojarvi, I; Arminen, I; Auranen, O; Pasanen, HM Scientific productivity, web visibility and citation patterns in sixteen Nordic sociology departments ACTA SOCIOLOGICA, 51 (1): 5-22 MAR 2008

Tue Apr 22 09:57:25 EDT 2008

E-mail Address: inari.aaltojarvi at uta.fi; ilkka.arminen at uta.fi;
otto.auranen at uta.fi; hanna-mari.pasanen at uta.fi

Author(s): Aaltojarvi, I (Aaltojarvi, Inari); Arminen, I (Arminen, Ilkka);
Auranen, O (Auranen, Otto); Pasanen, HM (Pasanen, Hanna-Mari)

Title: Scientific productivity, web visibility and citation patterns in
sixteen Nordic sociology departments

Source: ACTA SOCIOLOGICA, 51 (1): 5-22 MAR 2008

Language: English

Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: citation; Google Scholar; Nordic sociology; scientific
output; scientific productivity; Thomson scientific; web visibility

Keywords Plus: ACADEMIC CAPITALISM; GOOGLE SCHOLAR; SCIENCE; IMPACT;
COLLABORATION; FACULTY; GENDER

Abstract: Science is being published increasingly on the web. In this
article, we explore how Nordic sociology is represented on Google Scholar
(GS), what its output and impact is, and what factors explain it. Our data
consist of faculty in 16 Nordic sociology departments in March 2005. The
distribution of their publications and citations is skewed. Thirteen per
cent of scholars do not appear on GS, whereas only 15 per cent have more
than 5 publications. Of scholars with at least 1 publication (n = 240), 75
per cent have at most 10 citations. Both the number of web hits (web
visibility) and citations are influenced by the gender of the faculty
member, type and age of publication. Web visibility, citations and
position are mutually reinforcing. Departmental effect is greater in web
visibility than citations. International publications have started to
dominate the social sciences, international monographs being particularly
frequently cited. The remaining salience of books shows that sociology is
still a distinct form of knowledge. The exclusive use of refereed articles
and direct comparisons with the natural sciences ignore important aspects
of the social sciences. In all, while GS produces findings similar to
those in citation databases such as the SSCI, some systematic differences
exist. No individual method for measuring scientific output is objective.

Addresses: Univ Tampere, Dept Sociol & Social Psychol, FIN-33014 Tampere,
Finland; Univ Tampere, Inst Social Res, Unit Sci Technol & Innovat
Studies, FIN-33014 Tampere, Finland

Reprint Address: Aaltojarvi, I, Univ Tampere, Dept Sociol & Social

otto.auranen at uta.fi; hanna-mari.pasanen at uta.fi

Cited Reference Count: 44

Times Cited: 0

Publisher: SAGE PUBLICATIONS LTD

Publisher Address: 1 OLIVERS YARD, 55 CITY ROAD, LONDON EC1Y 1SP, ENGLAND

ISSN: 0001-6993

29-char Source Abbrev.: ACTA SOCIOL

ISO Source Abbrev.: Acta Sociol.

Source Item Page Count: 18

Subject Category: Sociology

ISI Document Delivery No.: 280DH

*GOOGL
GOOGL SCHOL : 2005

*GOOGL
GOOGL SCHOL HELP : 2006

*INTERNETLAB
WEB RANK WORLD UN GL : 2005

AURANEN O
92005 TASTI 2005

BECHER T
ACAD TRIBES TERRITOR : 2001

BENCE V
The role of academic journal publications in the UK Research Assessment
Exercise
LEARNED PUBLISHING 17 : 53 2004

BJARNASON T
Nordic impact: Article productivity and citation patterns in sixteen
Nordic sociology departments
ACTA SOCIOLOGICA 45 : 253 2002

BRIN S
The anatomy of a large-scale hypertextual Web search engine
COMPUTER NETWORKS AND ISDN SYSTEMS 30 : 107 1998

COLE JR
SOCIAL STRATIFICATIO : 1973

DEMERITT D
The new social contract for science: Accountability, relevance, and value
in US and UK science and research policy
ANTIPODE 32 : 308 2000

DONOVAN C
The governance of social science and everyday epistemology
PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION 83 : 597 2005

FERON E
INNOVATION 16 : 369 2003

FIENBERG SE
SURVEY METHODOLOGY 18 : 143 1992

HABERMAS J
KNOWLEDGE HUMAN INTE : 1971

HAKALA J
ACAD CULTURES PROFIL 15 : 7 2002

JACSO P
Google Scholar: the pros and the cons
ONLINE INFORMATION REVIEW 29 : 208 2005

KOUSHA K
Google Scholar citations and Google Web/URL citations: A multi-discipline
exploratory analysis
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
58 : 1055 DOI 10.1002/asi.20584 2007

KRETSCHMER H
Visibility of collaboration on the Web
SCIENTOMETRICS 61 : 405 2004

KYVIK S
PRODUCTIVITY ACAD SC : 1991

KYVIK S
The exchange of knowledge - A small country in the International Research
Community
SCIENCE COMMUNICATION 18 : 238 1997

KYVIK S
Child care, research collaboration, and gender differences in scientific
productivity
SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY & HUMAN VALUES 21 : 54 1996

KYVIK S
Changing trends in publishing behaviour among university faculty, 1980-
2000
SCIENTOMETRICS 58 : 35 2003

LEPENIES W
LIT SCI RISE SOCIOLO : 1988

LOTKA AJ
J WASHINGTON ACADEMY 16 : 317 1926

MERTON RK
SOCIOLOGY SCI THEORE : 1973

NIEMINEN M
COMMENTATIONES SCIEN 65 : 2005

NOTESS GR
SEARCH ENGINE STAT R : 2003

OKSANEN T
PUBLICATIONS ACAD FI 1003 : 2003

PAASI A
Globalisation, academic capitalism, and the uneven geographies of
international journal publishing spaces
ENVIRONMENT AND PLANNING A 37 : 769 DOI 10.1068/a3769 2005

PHELAN T
MEASURES OF SUCCESS IN AMERICAN SOCIOLOGY
SOCIOLOGICAL FORUM 10 : 481 1995

PRICE DJS
LITTLE SCI BIG SCI : 1986

PRPIC K
Gender and productivity differentials in science
SCIENTOMETRICS 55 : 27 2002

SLAUGHTER S
ACAD CAPITALISM POLI : 1997

SMEBY JC
Departmental contexts and faculty research activity in Norway
RESEARCH IN HIGHER EDUCATION 46 : 593 DOI 10.1007/s11162-004-4136-2 2005

SULLIVAN D
NIELSEN NETRATINGS S : 2006

THOMAS O
Webometric analysis of departments of librarianship and information
science
JOURNAL OF INFORMATION SCIENCE 26 : 421 2000

VANRAAN AFJ
Fatal attraction: Conceptual and methodological problems in the ranking of
universities by bibliometric methods
SCIENTOMETRICS 62 : 133 2005

VAUGHAN L
Web citation data for impact assessment: A comparison of four science
disciplines
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
56 : 1075 DOI 10.1002/asi.20199 2005

VAUGHAN L
Bibliographic and web citations: What is the difference?
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
54 : 1313 DOI 10.1002/asi.10338 2003

VONWRIGHT GH
EXPLANATION UNDERSTA : 1971

WARNER J
A critical review of the application of citation studies to the Research
Assessment Exercises
JOURNAL OF INFORMATION SCIENCE 26 : 453 2000

WEINGART P
Impact of bibliometrics upon the science system: Inadvertent consequences?
SCIENTOMETRICS 62 : 117 2005

XIE Y
Sex differences in research productivity: New evidence about an old puzzle
AMERICAN SOCIOLOGICAL REVIEW 63 : 847 1998

YLIJOKI OH
Entangled in academic capitalism? A case-study on changing ideals and
practices of university research
HIGHER EDUCATION 45 : 307 2003