Bibliometrics for Arts & Humanities

Chiner Arias, Alejandro A.Chiner-Arias at WARWICK.AC.UK
Thu Sep 20 07:16:16 EDT 2007

Thank you very much for all the helpful replies being sent.  I wonder
why no-one so far has mentioned Scopus.com.

I had a quick play with Scopus yesterday and it retrieved 93,934 "Arts &
Humanities" references, each with their "Cited by" count. When I
included the "multidisciplinary" references the number of articles
retrieved was 394,058..!

Scopus now has a Citation Tracker similar to the Citation Reports
facility on ISI Web of Knowledge.  WoK is of course the search interface
for the Arts & Humanities Citation Index by Thompson ISI.

It is hard to compare the usefulness of the two products as bibliometric
tools.  Scopus has a relatively limited coverage of Arts & Humanities,
but there is always going to be a limit to the coverage of any tool.

May I request from the list some opinions on how these two products
compare, Scopus and WoK when trying to stretch them for bibliometrics?

Alec
Alejandro Chiner, Service Innovation Officer,
University of Warwick Library Research & Innovation Unit,
Gibbet Hill Road, Coventry CV4 7AL, United Kingdom. Tel: +(44/0) 24 765
23251, Fax: +(44/0) 24 765 24211,
a.chiner-arias at warwick.ac.uk http://www.warwick.ac.uk/go/riu