Bibliometrics for Arts & Humanities

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at LSU.EDU
Wed Sep 19 09:58:28 EDT 2007

Howard,

I see once again that great minds tend to think alike.  A bibliometric
justification for using library holdings as a quality measure is
provided by Urquhart's Law.  This law forms the operating basis of the
British Library Document Supply Centre, and I consider it the most
important law of library science per se.  Simply stated, Urquhart's Law
posits that the more libraries in a given system that hold a given
bibliographic item, the more this given bibliographic item is not only
used internally in these libraries (intralibrary use) but the more these
libraries borrow this item from each other either through interlibrary
loan or document delivery (supralibrary use).  Urquhart developed his
law in respect to scientific journals, but he held that it should also
be applicable to monographs, and in this I think that he was right.
Basing myself on Urquhart's Law, I have demonstrated that library
holdings are significantly correlated not only to supralibrary use but
also to total citations, expert ratings, and number of times titles are
indexed.  If you are interested in Urquhart's Law, then go to the Web
site below and read the attachment.  These are my major writings on
Urquhart's Law.

http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/bensman/bensman.html

As an aside, the same sociological role of publishing elite writings,
which is played by the associations in science and social science
journals, appears to be played in monographs by the presses of the elite
universities such Chicago, Harvard, MIT, California, Oxford, Cambridge,
etc. etc.  I think that if you would check scholarly monographs
published by these university presses against those published by
commercial presses, you would find former's library holdings much higher
than the latter's.

Stephen J. Bensman

LSU Libraries

Louisiana State University