Bibliometrics for Arts & Humanities

Howard White whitehd at DREXEL.EDU
Tue Sep 18 12:55:24 EDT 2007

Dear Members,

I was surprised and delighted to see Stephen Bensman's posting
because in August
I delivered a series of talks in Sydney and Brisbane Australia in
which I advocated
precisely the same measure—library holdings counts in WorldCat and,
in their case,
Libraries Australia—as a way of assessing the research contributions
of academics
in the arts and humanities.  My talks were related to evaluating
academics under the
new Research Quality Framework, which is scheduled to begin in
Australia in 2008.
(RQF resembles the Research Assessment Exercise of the UK.)  Australian
academics in the arts, humanities, and softer social sciences are
under a double
whammy as far as the Thomson Scientific databases are concerned:  not
only are
the journals of their fields much less well covered, the journals of
their nation are also
much less well covered.  Linda Butler of Australian National
University has been
working on RQF-related measures involving citations to books (as
opposed to
journal articles) in the Thomson databases, but even these miss much
of the whole
picture, as she herself points out.

I am currently teaming with some researchers from the Bibliometric
and Informetric
Research Group at the University of New South Wales (Connie Wilson,
Mari Davis,
and others) to work on the proposed holdings-count measure for "book-
oriented"
researchers Down Under.  (It was in indirect connection with this
project that I posted
the notice about Anne-Wil Harzing's Publish or Perish software last
week.)  The
larger bibliometrics community has pretty much ignored holdings
counts and OCLC.
In 1995 I published a whole book about them, Brief Tests of
Collection Strength, and I
have a long article about them coming out in College & Research
Libraries in the
first half of 2008.  These works focus on their uses in library
collection evaluation,
but it has long been evident to me that they can also be used to
evaluate authors—
after all, OCLC's list of the top 1000 items by holdings counts reads
like a Who's Who
of authors in the Western intellectual tradition.  So does a list of
the most widely held
items in LibraryThing, the Web tool for cataloging personal
collections, although
there the top authors are virtually all novelists, poets, and
playwrights.  In any case
it is high time bibliometricians started paying attention to holdings-
count data as a
complement to citation data.

Howard D. White, Professor Emeritus
College of Information Science and Technology
Drexel University
Philadelphia, PA 19104