Qualitative citation analysis?

Howard White whitehd at DREXEL.EDU
Wed Nov 21 12:59:30 EST 2007

Hi, Bernie and other contributors,

I use algorithms and statistics in my citation research, but I think of
it as basically qualitative in nature. A lot of it expands the insights
of pioneers
such as Gene Garfield and Henry Small. I've put a selection of my
articles from the last 10 years below. For qualitative purposes, I'd
particularly
recommend "Authors as Citers over Time," "Citation Analysis and
Discourse Analysis Revisited," "Reward, Persuasion, and the Sokal Hoax,"
and "Toward Ego-Centered Citation Analysis, " all in readily available
sources.

--Howard White

White, Howard D. (2007). Combining Bibliometrics, Information Retrieval,
and Relevance Theory: Part 1. First Examples of a Synthesis. Journal of
the American Society for Information Science and Technology 58: 536-559

White, Howard D. (2007). Combining Bibliometrics, Information Retrieval,
and Relevance Theory: Part 2. Implications for Information Science.
Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology
58: 583-605.

White, Howard D. (2005). On Extending Informetrics: An Opinion Paper.
Proceedings of ISSI 2005, the 10th International Conference of the
International Society for Scientometrics and Informetrics. Stockholm,
Sweden: Karolinska University Press. Vol. 2: 442-449.

White, Howard D. (2004). Reward, Persuasion, and the Sokal Hoax: A Study
in Citation Identities. Scientometrics 60: 93-120

White, Howard D. (2004). Citation Analysis and Discourse Analysis
Revisited. Applied Linguistics 25: 89-116.

White, Howard D., Barry Wellman, and Nancy Nazer. (2004). Does Citation
Reflect Social Structure? Longitudinal Evidence from the ‘Globenet’
Interdisciplinary Research Group. Journal of the American Society for
Information Science and Technology 55: 111-126.

White, Howard D, Xia Lin, Jan W. Buzydlowski, Chaomei Chen. (2004).
User-Controlled Mapping of Significant Literatures. Proceedings of the
National Academy of Sciences 101 (suppl. 1), April 6, 2004. 5297-5302.

White, Howard D. (2003). Citation Communities. In Encyclopedia of
Community; From the Village to the Virtual World, Karen Christensen and
David Levinson, eds. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. v.1: 141-143.

White, Howard D. (2003). Pathfinder Networks and Author Cocitation
Analysis: A Remapping of Paradigmatic Information Scientists. Journal of
the American Society for Information Science and Technology 54: 423-434.

White, Howard D. (2001). Author-Centered Bibliometrics through CAMEOs:
Characterizations Automatically Made and Edited Online. Scientometrics
51: 607-637.

White, Howard D. (2001). Authors as Citers over Time. Journal of the
American Society for Information Science 52: 87-108.

White, Howard D., Xia Lin, Jan Buzydlowski. (2001). The Endless Gallery:
Visualizing Authors’ Citation Images in the Humanities. Proceedings of
the Annual Meeting of the American Society of Information Science and
Technology, v. 38. Medford, NJ: Information Today. 182-189.

White, Howard D. (2000). Toward Ego-Centered Citation Analysis. In The
Web of Knowledge: A Festschrift in Honor of Eugene Garfield, Blaise
Cronin and Helen Barsky Atkins, eds. Medford, NJ: Information Today
(ASIS Monograph Series). 475-496.

White, Howard D., and Katherine W. McCain. (1998). Visualizing a
Discipline: An Author Co-citation Analysis of Information Science,
1972­1995. Journal of the American Society for Information Science 49:
327-355. [Winner of Best JASIST Paper Award for 1998.]