Qualitative citation analysis?

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 20 11:25:01 EST 2007

  A discussion on the liblicense list reminded me of something I asked about a couple of years ago in another forum...just curious if anyone on SIGMETRICS can point to some recent relevant studies...

  Most of the citation analysis studies I see nowadays involve quantitative analyses for the most part. Just wondering if many people are into studying citations from a qualitative standpoint? For example, in a lot of studies a citation is a citation is a citation, with little concern for how a given paper was cited qualitatively within the context of the citing paper. For example, an author could cite a paper very positively, or the citation could be pretty much value-neutral, or the citation could be negative. But in a quantitative analysis these various types of citations pretty much all carry the same weight.

  When I looked into this several years ago, a number of people alerted me to some qualitative citation studies. The interesting thing is that most of these studies were maybe 20 years old, at least. It almost seemed like people got away from doing qualitative citation analyses as it got easier to do quantitative analyses, i.e., as databases such as the ISI indices became available in electronic form.

  Anyway, I am interested in hearing about relatively recent qualitative citation analysis.

  Thanks,

  Bernie Sloan